Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 
AyalaCookiejar

Water sprite and algae questions

Okay, first... My water sprite doesn't seem to like my tank at all. Amazingly, its not my parameters. I have a friend of mine a small jar with ramshorns and a leaf from my water sprite in it (it was dying, and he lives a block away so his parameters are the same) and it is actually growing in that jar with no lighting or heat, besides te fact that he has the jar sitting next to his sensy thing?! Whaaat.

My tank is a ten gallon. It has a 15 watt 6500k daylight bulb in it and I dose Seachem Flourish at half a dose only. I also have jungle Val's (main plant is dying but it sent out a new shoot that's growing slowly), corkscrew jungle Val's (not doing well), Anubias Barteri (not sure about this one, there's some algae growing on it), java fern windelove (growing a new leaf), and java moss (not growing super fast but still growing). I also had a little bit of mini duckweed that I think my girls ate, lol.

The algae hasn't taken over my live plants (yet) but it has definitely taken over my silk filler plants. Its brown and kind of fuzzy and thick. I'm very new with live plants and am afraid that they will die, but the water parameters are great. I'm planning on getting a Nerite snail but I can't get up to Lincoln for about a month (after I graduate).

I know this gets asked a lot but what should I do about the algae and what should I do to help my live plants? I'm getting more but the person I bought them from hasn't been on for awhile so I'm thinking it won't be until next week.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #2 
carbonxxkidd

Is this a pretty new tank? The brown algae sounds like it could be diatoms. I had some in my sorority tank and my otos took care of it. From what I've heard though is if don't let it get out of control it will go away on it's own (usually).

As for plants, I'm no expert but it really sounds like you are doing the right thing. The only thing I can think of is maybe you need more light? I actually have two lights on my 29g because I was worried that one light wouldn't be enough. I really don't know what would happen if I took one away, but my plants are growing very well atm and I constantly forget to fertilize (I have Flourish, as well as all the macros). I don't think I've put any fertilizer in my tank in over a month except for a Flourish tab under my sword.

How long are you keeping your lights on? Cutting down the time the lights are on will help with algae, and I've also heard of people turning on and off their lights during the day (not really sure on the time frame here, like 4 hours on, 2 off, 4 on, or something) which the plants don't mind but the algae doesn't like? Hope this helps...
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you. I've reduced the photoperiod time by an hour so now its on 9 hours a day. The tank is new as of the 1st of this month.

I have lower light plants, and my anubias has suffered a bit from being too close to my lights. However I do have a lamp close to the tank that's also a 15watt 6500k daylight but I do not always leave it on. Its mostly there so I can get a better view of my girls when I'm watching my tank. I dose less ferts because I'm trying not to feed the algae, lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #4 
carbonxxkidd

Okay, yeah, I definitely think you have diatoms then. They showed up in my tank after a couple weeks, so that sounds about right. If I were you, I would just try and rub off as much of the algae into the water before you do water changes to remove some of it, if you keep up on it, it should go away on it's own.

I noticed a lot of my plants took a while to take off. It was a bit scary at first because the only plants I had that really DID anything were my hornwort and anacharis (which I ended up just removing anyway after like two months). I have heard mixed things about vals. I was very scared to try them in my tank because I'd heard that they are sensitive and tend to melt but mine have gone absolutely crazy. I went from like 6 plants to probably over 20...there's a ton in there. It took a while for them to get started though, the fact that you have one runner is awesome. I bet you'll have a ton more soon.

What kind of substrate do you have? How often are you dosing ferts? Like I said I'm not an expert, but I can share my experiences with you, haha.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

Experience is definitely good, though! I just have gravel substrate which is why I bought Flourish.

My Val's looked horrible when I got it in the mail. Its very long leaves had to be cut very short because the entire top half of the plant pretty much disintegrated in the mail and during acclimation. I didn't throw it out though because I was waiting for a new shoot, and I'm surprised I got one so soon. The corkscrew looked better but is now doing much worse. (I've heard that they send out shoots when the main plant is damaged so I guess that's why my jungle Val's is growing.)

Could I ask why you got rid of your hornwort?

I have a Nerite in my other tank to clean up some algae and it is now completely gone. I was thinking maybe she could help out my sorority tank but I'm terrified my girls will hurt her. The tank she's in now is my blind males tank so she's completely safe from him, lol.

Edit: sorry, I dose ferts once a week during water changes.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

could be the temperature. o_O
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 AM   #7 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
could be the temperature. o_O
Oh. Duh. The temp is about 80. I guess I should probably turn it down again.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 AM   #8 
Stone

the plants will adjust to the new water chemistry after soem time all of my vals melted away to nothing and are starting to make a comeback, the watersprite is a weird plant in some of my tanks I don't think I could kill it if I tried and in others it's being difficult to grow, we kid about it and just say the fish in the tanks that it's doing well in are zen gardeners, it is weird how sometimes there is no real reason why
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #9 
carbonxxkidd

My temp is at 80, so I doubt that's the problem. I got rid of my hornwort and anacharis because they just got really stringy looking and were taking over...I just didn't really need them to fill in anymore, haha. The anacharis also wouldn't stay rooted and shed EVERYWHERE and was just nasty. The hornwort never shed or anything but I just didn't like it anymore, haha.

I think it sounds like you're doing everything right...just keep it up and stuff should turn around...it took a month or two for my stuff to really take off, so don't give up!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #10 
ao
TFK Moderator

temperature shock doesnt happen to every plant :) sone adapt to it better than others. I kept anacharis at 86 before @.@ it was also fine on my window sill at 90F

but there's been people who could not get it to grow above 78. lol
ao is offline   Reply With Quote