Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #1 
HeroicPoison

Exclamation Is she too far gone?

Came home from four days of babysitting my nephew, when I left all my fish were happy and healthy... Upon my return I was doing my water changes and found one of my girls very very bloated and pineconed. I read that once they pinecone they have a very slim chance of surviving... is this true?
Will she make it through treatment? Will she suffer? I dont want her to suffer :( I have never had a fish with dropsy before so I am unprepared and know very little about it, I will do some reading. But I really do need some help here I would greatly prefer to save her... I love her... I dont know what happened!?!

She lives with one other female (no symptoms thus far) in a five gallon heated tank. They have a tank temp of 80F, and are fed two pellets a day of new life spectrum... Can't test the water since I dumped it.
Also what can I do to protect my other female? I don't want her to get dropsy either :(

ON HAND:
Jungle fungus clear
Aquarium salt
Epsom Salt
Stresscoat+ (I really dont think that will help me out)

Last edited by HeroicPoison; 04-24-2013 at 11:13 PM.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #2 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Oh god man... F***in' dropsy... You should still try treatment. I recommend finding a place that carries Seachem Kanaplex and treating with that and Epsom Salts in a quarantine tank. Make sure to do a 100% change on the main tank for the rest of the crew as well. Also, keep an eye on her poop to see if it is white/clear and stringy...

In my opinion, being someone who had to euthanize a fish that had dropsy, my little Cass wasn't "too far gone" until the spent a day and a half basically just laying on her side at the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. If you live in Calgary I can tell you where to get Kanaplex, but that's all I know for sure. Dropsy is horrible man. It really is... I wish I could give better advice, but that's all I can suggest. <3 If you want to chat about it, I'm always around. <3
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:00 AM   #3 
HeroicPoison

I just don't want to prolong her suffering, in the matter of hours of being moved into a QT tank she's breathing very heavily.. I do have jungal fungus clear it treats gram negitive bacteria.. Which dropsy is.. Do you think that will work for now?
I don't live in Calgary but I'd like to know that place so I can send my cousin to get some. It likely won't be here on time, but I don't want any of my fish to ever go through this again.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi HeroicPoison. Well, I don't want to say that dropsy symptoms are an automatic death sentence but sadly, it's almost one. :( Dropsy symptoms (scientifically known as ascites) is what happens when a disease or condition causes fluid buildup in the body cavity. This then pushes the scales outward, causing the pineconing. Lots of things can cause dropsy symptoms like internal parasites, external parasites under the skin, constipation, or old age as the body shuts down. But probably one of the most common causes is a bacterial infection in the internal organs, usually the kidneys.

Unfortunately, without lab testing there is no way to know for sure what caused the symptoms so when we treat, we have to go with our best guess and hope we are right.

Your girl may have had something brewing in her system for a while and for some reason, your abscence stressed her out and made her immune system crash just enough that she got sick. If your other girl seems fine that means that for some reason she has a stronger immune system.

The best and safest thing you can do right now is get your girl into 3 tsps of epsom salts per gallon. This will help relieve some of the fluid buildup.

If you want to try a medication, the best one for internal bacterial infections is Seachem Kanaplex which usually has to be ordered online. The next best medication to try would be API General Cure. This is a good safe med because it is not an antibiotic so we don't run as big a risk of creating resistances. It will treat any possible internal and external parasites that could be causing problems and may provide some limited treatment for internal anaerobic bacterial infections as well. A final possibility is Maracyn Two but this medication is hard on the kidneys and I don't like to suggest it unless I'm fairly certain the cause isn't in the kidneys. It also doesn't work very well in high pH.

If your girl is eating, encourage her to eat so she can keep her strength up. If you are able to get General Cure or Kanaplex, you can also soak her food in some medicated water and feed this to her to help the medication reach the problem faster.

Good luck with her and I'll be thinking of her.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #5 
HeroicPoison

I'm worried she won't make it through the night, she went downhill on a few hours. I will try the Epsom salt... Should I not try the jungal fungus clear? It says it treats it on the box? If so can I mix that with Epsom salt?
I ask this cuz I can't get to the store till later tomorrow. And like I said I don't think she will make it.. I tried to feed her a pellet but she had no interest
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 AM   #6 
Sakura8

Does the Jungle Clear contain nitrofurazone? If so, then it won't help if the cause of the dropsy symptoms is internal. Nitrofurazone is an antibiotic that does not absorb through the skin/gills. You can try it though in case the cause of her symptoms is external.

I'm really sorry she's so sick. :(
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #7 
HeroicPoison

Darn yes it does... Stupid lying box!
Ill add the Epsom, and if she makes the night ill pick the other stuff up
Hope so has fight in her
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #8 
Sakura8

:( I'm sorry. Lots of the boxes lie about what they treat. :( It sucks.

Hang in there, little one, help is on the way!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #9 
XxxXnoodleXxxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
I just don't want to prolong her suffering, in the matter of hours of being moved into a QT tank she's breathing very heavily.. I do have jungal fungus clear it treats gram negitive bacteria.. Which dropsy is.. Do you think that will work for now?
I don't live in Calgary but I'd like to know that place so I can send my cousin to get some. It likely won't be here on time, but I don't want any of my fish to ever go through this again.
The place is called Pieces Pet Emporium. It's right by the Calgary Airport. Super good price for a ton of the medication, and IMO it's cheaper and easier to get than ordering online. Best to have the stuff on hand even if things go for the worse... I've built up a cabinet of medication for my new little fishy, just in case. <3
XxxXnoodleXxxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 AM   #10 
logisticsguy

Where do you live heroic? Im in Calgary but could meet someone or drop off Kanaplex I have extra on hand just in case and other meds as well.

Sadly it is a tough go once they are pineconed it indicates organ failure, ive been through this myself and as Sakura said not a death sentence but is a very difficult condition once pineconed. I despise dropsy.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote