Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 08:07 AM   #11 
Ezzie

I thought maybe it was from the driftwood but it has been in my guppy tank for a good couple months and there nitrates were fine.

Should I just leave it and see if it will sort itself out or continue the 15-20% water changes. I'm a little afraid that adding the prime/ quick start every time will begin to 'add up' and over dose the tank.. Maybe I should do a 100% water change and start from scratch. I think I'll replace the filter wool and see because it was pretty heavy with gunk from my big tank (I thought that would be a good thing regarding bacteria)

I'm afraid I have lost my cycle!
Posted via Mobile Device
Ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I wouldn't do a 100% but I would definitely do a 50%+ water change to get the nitrItes/nitrAtes down. It is not unusual to see high nitrates when towards the end of a cycle & I'm betting you are seeing a mini cycle which is no big deal & shouldn't last long. I would do daily 50%+ water changes to get the levels down. If you're using the water conditioner correctly your cycle won't be effected by large water changes. I wouldn't change out any filter media, just water changes with the water conditioner.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #13 
Ezzie

Once I get home from work ill be doing another 50% change, the nitrates are slowly being bought down and when I tested again last night were no longer blood red like the photos! The nitrites however are still high. Lucky ammonia is been a constant 0!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #14 
kyle89

Its very common for false high nitrATE reading when you have high nitrITES levels like you have. I am going through the same thing and do 4 changes a day. Even if you get it to .25ppm it will sky rocket again within 24 hours. Try adding tetra safestart to your tank
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #15 
Ezzie

I just did another 50% change and out of curiosity i tested the water i have been replacing in the tank and everything was at 0 so at least i know that the water i'm adding is all okay.

Ill bump up the water changes to twice daily (work really limits my time) and only 20% now as apose to 50%.
Should i be adding less or more prime as i go do you think? Like i said earlier, im afraid of overdosing him with continual addings of prime / safe start, is this even bad for fish?

I checked my local pet store and aquarium place and neither have "tetra safestart" theres one more place i can check locally so ill be doing that on monday (day off)

Im going to let the tank settle with the new water and re-test again, hopefully ill see that pretty sky blue (or at least closer to)!

Edit: I didnt even know a "mini cycle" was possible! thanks for adding that shellieca! I was doing some reading about it and aparently it doesnt last long, hopefully my tank comes out okay!

Last edited by Ezzie; 04-27-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:50 AM   #16 
Ezzie

I did a test now with the tank after a 50% water change and these were the results:

ammonia: Maybe a LITTLE tiny bit over 0 (cant tell in a regular light, sunlights better)
nitRIte:.50- 1.0ppm (!!!)
NitRAte: 5-10.ppm

WHY ARNT THE NITRITES GOING DOWN??
I seem to have sorted out the nitrates problem, its showing an ideal colour but now my nitrites are crazy, my this is frustrating!!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

possibly a die off with the bacteria that turns nitrites into nitrates?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #18 
kyle89

I wish my nitrite spike where that low when I cycled. I had spikes of of 4!
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote