Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #1 
justmel

Jarring fry question

I know it is different with every spawn & with every fry for that matter, but is there an average age that you should start jarring fry? My fry are about 5wks old and I have at least one that keeps chasing and nipping at the others. Should I pull the one now or wait?

One other question about the fry, I don't really know how you determine their age. Is it the day they are put in the egg nest, when they start hanging vertically, or when they start free swimming? Just an example here, but if I had a spawn start on 4/18 (egg put in nest), they hatch and are hanging on 4/20, and started free swimming on 4/23 how old would they be today (4/25)?
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #2 
Myates

The age thing is different for every breeder. I don't think there is one right answer.. some breeders go by spawn date, others by hatch, etc.. I personally go by hatch date.

For jarring.. it depends on how aggressive.. but usually between the 2-3 month is when jarring begins. I wouldn't pull that guy out yet, as at 5 weeks their labyrinth organ hasn't developed.. unless you have a 10g you can set up with a sponge filter, etc.. but that is a lot of extra work for one fry.
Healthy fry should be able to get away from him.. if you are truly worried then you could consider culling him. But know that at 5 weeks it's not uncommon to see them chasing and posturing.. I've seen some real bad fights at that age myself with some of my fry.. 4-5 weeks some were going at it like nuts. Wasn't until just a little over 2.5 months did I start jarring with no real fin damage to them. Usually it's over and they go about their business.. then some will start back up again later, etc. It's just natural for them. Sorta like wild cats play fighting.. they are working out how to fight and even hierarchy among each other. As long as he isn't ALWAYS chasing and fighting them.. that he stops for a while between fights then he should be fine. Just know that once his labyrinth organ is developed you can pull him and jar him. But that would be the 8-9 week mark. I've seen some pulled as early as 7 weeks, but those fry had ended up quite stunted in growth.

So up to you.. allow them to do their thing, or if there is damage and that fry is nonstop attacking then cull.. or set up another tank with a sponge filter, heater, etc and place him in it by himself.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #3 
justmel

Thank you Myates. I was againg by hatch date too, so I will just keep it that way. As for the fry I will leave him in and keep watching things. I didn't like the idea of pulling just 1 anyway and there's no reason to cull him in my opinion.

You can close this thread since you answered my questions and left me with no more. :)
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
Myates

I agree.. I just let them all settle their own differences. It happens in nature, let the stronger ones cull the weaker ones and so forth. As long as there aren't any open wounds on a bunch of them from him, it should be fine.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote