Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #1 
Roemgie

Thinking about breeding my EE and marble girls as a college student

Hello!

So I was just looking around on aquabid.com and I was just thinking about how awesome it would be to be able to produce my own marble bettas or EE bettas and then I thought about actually breeding.

What has stopped me in my thinkings was the fact that I thought it was going to be a lot more complicated and a lot less people actually tried. But I've heard of people who probably shouldn't be breeding were trying and getting babies.

So I of course want to collect as much information as possible and learn more about really what I should have in place before I jump. I really am interesting in EE an marble betas.

I was thinking, since I've never shipped any bettas before, was to rescue a few or more adopt a few from petco or petsmart and then try to sell them (more to just pay for their shipping and cost of buying them). Now I don't mean to sound like I'm willing to risk their lives but I'm thinking that I could at least do some good in 'rescuing' some a getting them back to health and then finding them homes either by meet up or shipping.

I will post some pictures of males I would love to breed to later in life (if I could find their type again). Any advice from someone?

Last edited by Roemgie; 04-25-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Shorten it
Roemgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #2 
isochronism

You may want to talk to some breeders to find out how much stuff and space is actually needed.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #3 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
You may want to talk to some breeders to find out how much stuff and space is actually needed.
Yeah I was hoping to catch a few EE breeders or marble breeders on here and also maybe some people who have bred within limited space.

But thank you for the comment :)
Old 04-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 
LadyVictorian

Hey, I don't have my fry yet but I breed marbles and breed in what I may consider limited space as for now my bedroom is my only fish room until summer when I convert half the basement into a fish room. You'll need the breeding tank and room for at least a 30 gal grow out tank. I used a 10 gallon spawning tank , not to forget the tanks you need for your pair (preferred separate), and LOTS of shelving space for jarring males. I have three shelves with about 50 jars sitting on them (testing out a water changing system.) You will also need room for brine shrimp colony or microworms and then also a tub with all the extra gear you need like tubing, plants, bubblewrap, ect. I did small water changes every other day and feed 4 times a day. Also made sure when I added water back in i used a spray bottle to mimic rain and to not stress out the fish while replacing water. Also need the heaters of course. I say if you have a somewhat large enough room and can clear two tables (or dresser tops and at least a few shelves or a bookshelf you should have the room you need.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #5 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
Hey, I don't have my fry yet but I breed marbles and breed in what I may consider limited space as for now my bedroom is my only fish room until summer when I convert half the basement into a fish room. You'll need the breeding tank and room for at least a 30 gal grow out tank. I used a 10 gallon spawning tank , not to forget the tanks you need for your pair (preferred separate), and LOTS of shelving space for jarring males. I have three shelves with about 50 jars sitting on them (testing out a water changing system.) You will also need room for brine shrimp colony or microworms and then also a tub with all the extra gear you need like tubing, plants, bubblewrap, ect. I did small water changes every other day and feed 4 times a day. Also made sure when I added water back in i used a spray bottle to mimic rain and to not stress out the fish while replacing water. Also need the heaters of course. I say if you have a somewhat large enough room and can clear two tables (or dresser tops and at least a few shelves or a bookshelf you should have the room you need.
Thank you!! And our tank limit is 20 gallons and I defiantly know that I don't have a way to buy another tank (especially a big one, my mom would kill me!) so in reality breeding right now isn't the bestest idea lol but I figured I should start at least thinking about it in case I am ready to try. I would maybe try it in the summer of next year or even in 2 months about. How long should I wait until they would be old enough to be moved or shipped? I'll be here for about 3 months starting in 2-3 weeks.

If anything I have my one male at home Socrates (here's a picture)

And I wouldn't mind breeding him to them. But anywho the problem is where and what do I do with the babies. The closest petco and petsmart are about 1 hour away. We only have little run downed places that call themselves petstores and of course I will NEVER take any to walmart.

Maybe I could post a picture of him and several of my other females and ask around if anyone would be interested in paying for the shipping cost to adopt them? Does that sound reasonable? Because if I got enough than I would try and see what would happen but if not then I would drop the idea :/
Old 04-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #6 
Roemgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post

Oh and this is what he looked like when I first adopted him from walmart

I am a very proud parent :)