Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #1 
Rainbows

Location: In a house, in a town, in a state, in USA, on earth.
Is she tail biting?

Today I went to go feed Aqua one of my 3 betta's and it seems like she has a bit of her tail fin missing. Im not sure if she is biting it or it got caught on something some how.

Before
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8751300...n/photostream/

After
Rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #2 
shellieca

Its kind of hard to tell because she doesn't have her fins spread in both pics but I don't think she's fin nipping or getting caught on anything. IMO, it looks more like fins would look if she had fin rot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #3 
Rainbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Its kind of hard to tell because she doesn't have her fins spread in both pics but I don't think she's fin nipping or getting caught on anything. IMO, it looks more like fins would look if she had fin rot.
Theres a different one before too... But it does not really look like she has fin rot.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No that's not tail biting, nor is it fin rot. Fin rot would be blackened edges that continuously eat at the betta's fins. is there anything else in her tank? Ornaments, plants, other tanks mates? Snails?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #5 
Rainbows

She does have a shark ornament a few smooth rocks and a plant. But they are not sharp. They are smooth and they were in my other Betta's tanks but nothing like that happened.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #6 
shellieca

I didn't say she currently has fin rot, I said IF she had fin rot & what I meant was that her "damage" is not ragged like fin nipping or getting caught on something usually appears but is more "smooth" like fin rot typically is. The fins don't look, IMO, to be recently damaged but rather that when they grew back they did not grow back as neatly as they previously were.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #7 
Rainbows

Well then, I have no clue what happened to her back fin then..
Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I didn't say she currently has fin rot, I said IF she had fin rot & what I meant was that her "damage" is not ragged like fin nipping or getting caught on something usually appears but is more "smooth" like fin rot typically is. The fins don't look, IMO, to be recently damaged but rather that when they grew back they did not grow back as neatly as they previously were.
Yeah, sorry shellieca, I meant to mention that you said IF but me being absentminded I forgot lol. So yeah, not a clue what she could possible be doing to herself. She might be running her fins through the filter intake? I've had betta's do that before and it might just be strong enough to take of little bits. but don't shut the filter off if that's the case, just add some Stress Coat in the next water change. I can't remember if I told you about it or not, but Stress Coat is a conditioner in itself so you won't need other conditioners with it :)

But it contains Aloe so it helps fins regrow and helped them grow in general.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:46 PM   #9 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbows View Post
Well then, I have no clue what happened to her back fin then..

Its not just her tail fin, her anal fin has the same look. Has she ever had fin rot? Did this appear over night?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #10 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Yeah, sorry shellieca, I meant to mention that you said IF but me being absentminded I forgot lol. So yeah, not a clue what she could possible be doing to herself. She might be running her fins through the filter intake? I've had betta's do that before and it might just be strong enough to take of little bits. but don't shut the filter off if that's the case, just add some Stress Coat in the next water change. I can't remember if I told you about it or not, but Stress Coat is a conditioner in itself so you won't need other conditioners with it :)

But it contains Aloe so it helps fins regrow and helped them grow in general.
No worries, when we type its sometimes to difficult to get our point across so that it makes sense or at least it is for me.