Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 
LucidSong

Question Inflamed Gills Help

So for about 2 weeks I have been treating a red crown tail for inflamed gills both are unable to close all the way and he spends a lot of time at the surface, I've been using the recomended treatments. I've had him in a heated 1gal bowl (as funds for anything bigger are not available)
Other than chilling at the top and his gills being swollen nothing seems wrong he eats and everything. But there has been no change in the gills.

Could this be a genetics issue or am I doing something wrong other than the small tank?
LucidSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

A little more info may help us help you . . .
How often do you do a water change & how big is the change?
What water conditioner are you using?
Are the gills bright red?
Can you post a pic?
What treatment(s) have you tried?
The size of the tank wouldn't have anything, IMO, to do with his gills unless you are not doing the required water changes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #3 
LucidSong

I use Beta Safe water conditioner from Wal-Mart , I've been doing 100% water changes everyday, as per this sites inflamed gills treatment requirements, and 1/4 a tablespoon of AQ Salt. As for bright red gillls I can't really tell as the fish himself is all bright red. Ill try and get a pic when I do tonights water change.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #4 
LucidSong

Discontinuing treatment. Spitfire is only getting worse. His fins now have a strange white fuzz on the tips about 1/3 the way up them. Both eyes are now fogged over and his gills just keep getting worse. I've used the AQ salt as much as I could and with no results. I'm thinking the poor guy is just failing on the inside. He sits on top of his water heater and gasps for air all day long, has stopped eating and moving all together. Today when I came home to find him still in his spot he was so still I had to pome the poor thing to make sire he was still alive.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

I don't know what wrong with him but the API Tetracycline treats symptoms like you describe. It's available at Petsmart. You have to dose for one gallon which would mean dividing one packet into ten equal parts because it's made to treat 10 gallons. It costs about $13.00

http://www.americanaquariumproducts....osticchart.jpg

Does he have anything stuck on him near his gills?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #6 
LucidSong

Nothing near his gills at all. I'll look into it. But he's been like this for about a month and I don't think he'll make it till I can Get some.