Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Classifieds
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Planning on selling some snails...

If I can get them to hatch and all goes well, I'd be willing to sell some zebra nerite snails. They're super efficient and really adorable. I have about 100 eggs all over my terracotta pot decoration, so I plan on trying to hatch them. If they hatch, how many of you would be interested in buying a few? I'm located in NJ and you would have to pay for shipping, as I'm broke. Not sure how much I would like to sell the snails for, if anything at all. I do need some money though, so I figured this would be a good way to make some. :)

For those of you who have shipped snails before, what would I need in order to ship them and what type of shipping should I use?

If you'd like pictures of the parents, I can post some, but they're snails. They kind of all look the same, generally, so... xD I'm not quite sure how long it'll take for them to hatch or even how long it'll take for them to grow enough to be shipped. I might keep a few to keep breeding them...

Let me know if you'd be interested, how much you'd be willing to pay for the snails and how many you would want, and what not. :) I can stick you on a list of people that want them, so when they're hatched and grown, I can contact you.
bettacrazygirl86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #2 
WolfHhowling

Can I get a pick of the parents?

Also shipping snails. I had a buddy that ordered them, what they did was put them in an ziplock back ( the one that holds liquid) they put some water about I would say a one of those cough syrup measuring cups full, and some packing peanuts in with them. Put them in a sturdy box, and sent them.....

First class mail. ( not kidding)

That would cost about 3 dollars to ship! To california of all places!

You could probably ship them for less, and it would come in 2-5 days, depending on ware you shipped them.

The ones that your shipping to say in Canada, or California... I would put a small bit of algae wafer in with them.

But this might seem more helpful.

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-ship-aqu...91.html?cat=17
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

This is the mom.

And this is the dad.

There aren't any guarantees yet that they'll actually hatch, since I'm not able to get to my LFS to pick up the marine salt yet. I'm hoping they'll hatch, so I can sell them.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
WolfHhowling

if you have any Aq salt you use for treating your betta's that will work also.

But any way. Cool. I was thinking about getting a pair of nerites like those, but I kinda don't want to pay shipping lol
Old 04-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
bettacrazygirl86

I'm not quite sure on the pricing yet. It depends on how many everyone wants, which would determine the prices, I guess. I really can't afford shipping, as I can't really even afford anything from a Dollar Store at this point.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #6 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazygirl86 View Post
I'm not quite sure on the pricing yet. It depends on how many everyone wants, which would determine the prices, I guess. I really can't afford shipping, as I can't really even afford anything from a Dollar Store at this point.
Ouch, just make sure you include shipping in with what you charge. Ok. That way your not put out. :)
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #7 
registereduser

nerites are $3-$4 each at the store. shipping can be $12-$15. it's worth it if you really can't find any locally.

maybe you can sell some back to a LFS or get store credit.

Don't count your snails before they are hatched, though!

Last edited by registereduser; 04-25-2013 at 08:50 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Registereduser is very nice and sent me my Nerite in the mail awhile back with just some insulation and a ziplock bag and it worked just fine :)

If its warm enough, you don't need heat packs. I'm really not sure about shipping but I know it goes by weight. If you've ever had a fish shipped to you, you'll know that they are shipped in very small bags with a small amount of water and roughly 3/4ths of the bag is just air trapped tightly. I usually pay about $6 for shipping.

I'm definitely interested if they hatch. I love my Nerite and need one for my sorority tank but the only place near here that sells them is an LFS about an hour away. :( I can't drive there on my own because I'll get lost and with my crazy school/work schedule and their early closing times, I don't ever have the time to get down there.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I usually pay about $6 for shipping.
I forgot to mention that $12-$15 is for the 3 day shipping. I guess you could send snails by regular post this time of the year. They won't freeze and they won't boil.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Well priority shipping is usually $6. I guess sometimes its 10-15. Express (1-2 days) is $20 more.

Honestly, I ship a LOT of things to my house. I have the app for USPS, UPS, and FedEx. I have found that express (USPS) is never overnight, always 2 days, and priority is almost always 3 days, sometimes 2 depending on how close the two locations are. 1 day isn't really worth that $20 to me because all my fish have arrived in tip top shape. I recieved 6 packages from them within the month of March alone and its always the same story, be it from Texas, California, Arkansas... My package from Idaho (and Omaha but that's in NE already) arrived in 2 instead of 3 days.

I've also gotten to know the mail carriers well. The one still asks me about my fish. They say its not necessary but if you label the package as "live fish" some mail carriers actually WILL be more careful with it.

Rant over lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote