Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #11 
trilobite

+1 to all the advice given.
Breed for what you like not for what youll think will make money.
Get a nice pair with good form and finnage and fatten them up for a few weeks. Get some tanks/tubs.
Instead of jars I use soda bottles with small holes in them and place them inside heated plastic tubs. Much cheaper and also easier to heat all the males.
Get microworms and bbs then you should be ready to go
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #12 
BlueMoonBetta

Can Anyone Give Me A List Of Supplies And Stuff Needed?
BlueMoonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #13 
wish4coner

I pamper my bettas so, I did a lot of research before buying my first pair--however, the info out there is staggering; it is very confusing and, what one says is right, another says is wrong. Thus, I joined a board so I could get concise and consistent answers. They have been great!
I had all my supplies ready, for my breeding. I bought a 10 gallon grow out for my first spawn (first one is usually small, according to what I read). I also had a 29 gallon eyed, in the event I did overly well. I bought a hang-on double sponge filter for when they grow big enough to move. I bought plastic tubs, looked up the "Thai" way of doing things, and found success in doing it like that.
I also bought nice glass containers at Walmart, for my males, that are 2-3 gallons, but easily placed near each other--I put paper in between the males so they don't flare too much.
My females are in sororities. I also learned that, if you buy a show betta male, make sure you get the same type of female. Good genetics is important--I made a mistake and now have several I probably will never use to spawn. I found 2 breeders on ebay, with 100% feedback and, one actually contacted me, and sold me the female at a very good price. Once I had her, I saw the difference in the ones that I purchased from "other" breeders. She is gorgeous.
Right now, I have my air filters, gages, etc. I just need to buy the sponge filters. I have my first fry now, doing well--but will need a good sponge filter so, I will order off of ebay as, our stores here do not carry them.
My first spawn was about 15-20. I did egg yolk and bbs first..but now switched to microworms.
This is just to show you the expense, and I am not even a seasoned breeder yet. I pamper them with live foods (flightless fruit flies), as well as Hakari frozen foods--mosquito larvae and bloodworms, which is all they want to eat. I do not use nets--I hand scoop them out, carefully. I use a turkey baster, daily to remove waste, and added ghost shrimp and snails to help with the clean up. I also have moss balls and will be ordering some more live plants.
So far, the expense is about 450.00 but, many of the things I purchased will save me from purchasing more--like my biological filters, that I got on sale and will be used for more grow out tanks.
One thing I will say is that, had I not joined this board, I would have spent thousands and, probably not had a successful spawn either. They are very helpful here. :)
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #14 
BlueMoonBetta

Thanks! How Many Bettas Did You Get In The First Spawn? Oh... And Check Out The Site In my Signature I Will Post Spawn Logs There When I Get Started (1-2 Months)
Old 04-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #15 
wish4coner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoonBetta View Post
Thanks! How Many Bettas Did You Get In The First Spawn? Oh... And Check Out The Site In my Signature I Will Post Spawn Logs There When I Get Started (1-2 Months)
As far as I can tell...15-20 that made it. I can't really tell for sure as, they move quickly and, they are so tiny--as well as some liking the moss balls and sponge filter so, unless you move them, you don't see it. I also have a small, leafy plant in there and some like to stay on the leaves.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #16 
BlueMoonBetta

How Do I Cull?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #17 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You don't even have to cull. I don't and I think it is unneccessary and cruel unless they are deformed or ill to the point of making their lives horrible. You use clove oil or the freeze shock method to cull.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM   #18 
BlueMoonBetta

Ok, I Will Only Cull If They Are Deformed....Any Tips On Selling Pet Store Quaility Bettas?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #19 
trilobite

Another way to cull is feed to a big fish.
Sell pet store quality way cheaper than the pet stores are selling them, otherwise people will just go to the petstore for their fish. Or maybe just give your fish to the petstores so they can sell the fish for you
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #20 
LadyVictorian

Petstore quality fish....eh give them away for free or give them to a petstore for free...really the only options as some petstores can sell those fish for a $1 each.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, breeding pair, breeding questions