Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #21 
Myates

As for the culling issue.. telling someone not to cull unless deformed can lead to trouble.. if the breeder is only wanting to breed one or two spawns at a time due to limited space (such as jar space or grow out space).. and end up with a very large spawn then what are they to do? How will they keep 200, 300+ jars warm? Are they going to be able to physically clean those jars out every day/other day? What happens when the grow out tanks get too full..? How are they going to find homes for hundreds of fish? Especially if the fish are undesirable due to bad finnage, etc?

You simply can't tell someone not to cull unless they are deformed... I have yet had a deformed fish.. but if I kept all 550 fry from that ONE spawn then I wouldn't be able to breed for months and months while I try to find homes for all of them.
Yes, if you get lucky you can find a distributor willing to house and sell your fish for a share (luckily I have one that has been doing it for a couple decades about a 40 minute drive from me).. or they may be able to find a fish store willing to take some for free from them.. but any good breeder will cull fish they can not sell/get rid of. Any good breeder will cull if it will improve the health and growth of some of the spawn, etc.

You can't say no to culling because a spawn is too large, nor because you can't find them a home. Heck, one of my 2 spawns I have going that hatched a week ago looks to be a few hundred fry... you bet I will be culling that down because I know from experience of having large spawns you simply can't keep that many if you don't have a big room with an elaborate set up. I have yet to ever meet a breeder who does not cull for many reasons other than deformities. You claim you don't Matt.. but I bet that you do, just don't say anything.. or you don't actively breed multiple spawns or have multiples going at once. Otherwise you wouldn't be saying to not cull. Sometimes it HAS to be done. If I didn't cull that last large one, then all the babies would have been worse off.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #22 
trilobite

^ +100

you cant escape culling if you breed, its a critical part. You need to be picky with who gets to use up the precious space and food resources
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

First off, I never actually said NOT to cull. I said that you don't have to and that I don't. Why you would like to challenge me and question what I do I can only wonder. No, I am not a big breeder. I have a couple of spawns at a time. I am yet to have an absolutely massive spawn. If I ever get a 500+ spawn, I will remove eggs. Yes, that is technically culling, but it is a lot less cruel then culling already conscious beings. Here are a couple links to respectable breeders that share my stance on culling-
https://sites.google.com/site/detroitgiantbettas/home
http://www.bettatalk.com/
I respect your opinion and would appreciate it if you would respect mine.

I also doubt that the op wants this thread to become a debate about culling and frankly I am sick of this never ending debate. Every person can and has every right to have different beliefs on culling. Please, let's stop bickering about this :)

Last edited by MattsBettas; 04-26-2013 at 07:55 PM.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #24 
BlueMoonBetta

Ok, What Should I Cull For, Bad Finnage, Ect, Etc?
BlueMoonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #25 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

You are going to get a bunch of different options on this to. It depends on your beliefs. We can't really dictate what you should cull or not for you.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

I think Myates only responded because every single thread someone mentions culling you respond like this:

Quote:
I think it is unneccessary and cruel.
This is purely your opinion, much the same as Myates opinion is her (I think Myates is female) own.

In most cases first time breeders do not even successfully rear enough fry to have to consider culling. However, it is always important to have information from both perspectives.

OP, you are probably not going to be able to sell your bettas for much if they are of pet store, or less than pet store quality. I would personally look at the best quality pair you could afford, with decent form and good colouring and not try to breed anything less.

It takes the same amount of time, energy and money to rear a whole lot of poor quality fish as it does to raise higher quality fish. But at the end you are going to have a lot of an easier time with selling fish from a higher quality spawn than fish that most breeders would have culled out.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #27 
BlueMoonBetta

Ok, What About A Betta Barracks?!
Old 04-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #28 
BlueMoonBetta

Oh, And I Will Get My Bettas From A IBC Breeder!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #29 
LadyVictorian

Blue another great thing is join the IBC, you can get SO much help from there as well as a book showing betta conformation.

As far as culling I can only tell you the things I would cull for myself but it's really all up to you. First thing is deformities, bent spines, swim bladder issues, even stuff like no ventrals or one pectoral larger than the other.

After that quality, spoon heads and hunchbacks, fish with not good topline. I wouldn't really cull fish with too long of tails, even though I am going to be working with a hmpk line because I feel if they still look pretty enough someone will want them as a pet but they will be priced lower than the others for sure. Also not going to cull for color, if the color is not what I want it can still be a pet.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #30 
Myates

LBF - correct, I'm a girl :)

Matts.. I was responding to this quote,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
You don't even have to cull. I don't and I think it is unneccessary and cruel unless they are deformed
which the poster then went on to take it as to not cull unless deformed. I wanted to make sure the poster was aware that culling is not cruel and is necessary.
Maybe I could of said it nicer.. but this is me, who can be rather blunt. But I only say what I say to help someone.. not to be mean to anyone. I do apologize that you thought I was attacking you.

As far as barracks.. do a lot of research.. many use them, but others don't because it has been known to wipe out entire fish rooms if one fish becomes ill. I personally just line the shelves with Flex Watt Heat Tapes + thermostats to keep individual containers warmed. Also use bins filled with water + heater and place the containers in them to help keep them warm. This way water isn't shared with others and less of a chance of mass sickness.
But on the other hand, barracks is a time saver.. pros and cons, all I can say is research them and how to build them and then think it over - it's an opinion on whether or not they are good to have/use, so I really can't give you an answer one way or another.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, breeding pair, breeding questions