Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #1 
FishyFloorzack

Question UPDATE: Not eating

Hello everyone! Hope you're having a good day!
But my fish has been acting up for the past two weeks;
Housing
What size is your tank? 3gal
What temperature is your tank? 75-80
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? floating mini pellets tretrabetta and these other small pellets which he likes better
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, size of an eraser amount

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? been everyday (epsom salt treatment)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? no

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? not really
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He will go up to the top and get air and go hid, he hasn't eaten much. His poop is very thin, light, and stringy? Does this really prove what he might have instead of guessing
When did you start noticing the symptoms? been about a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? epsom salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? a year a 2 months

Last edited by FishyFloorzack; 04-25-2013 at 06:35 PM.
FishyFloorzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #2 
lotusflwr

A betta not eating is like the sun not rising -- seems almost impossible for our little piggy fish to not eat! I'm sorry to hear that yours is feeling under the weather. :(

Epsom salt is usually for fish who are pineconing/swollen/have dropsy. Even then, I don't think it's usually used for long periods. If you think he is sick then aquarium salt is what he should probably have added to his water instead. You can find it in the aquarium section, and it is different than epsom salt -- it is sodium chloride (NaCl) or un-iodized table salt or Kosher salt, where epsom salt is magnesium sulfate -- very different things.

A betta's stomach is about as big as its eye, so be sure not to feed him more than that amount. You said you feed him about the size of an eraser, but I'm not sure how much that equates to... My betta gets about 4 pellets a day, for example.

You should also consider not feeding him at least once a week -- I skip feeding my betta every Friday to give his tummy a chance to rest. They can easily go one day without feeding, so don't worry about him starving.

Another thing you can try is getting some Seachem Garlic Guard... it's a garlic juice fish food supplement. Fish loooove the taste of garlic, and bettas are no different. I soak my betta's food in a few drops of it most days, and especially when he's sick or recovering from tail-biting. It can entice picky eaters and sicky eaters both into eating, plus it is also supposed to help their immune systems and fend off any internal parasites.

You can also see if he will eat freeze-dried bloodworms, mysis shrimp, or brine shrimp. My betta gets them as treats, and especially finds them delicious when soaked in Garlic Guard too.

Hopefully someone else more knowledgeble about betta diseases will chime in and analyze whether the stringy poop and hiding are symptoms of a more serious issue or perhaps stress. I don't have a lot of experience with betta illnesses, but I hope your betta gets well soon!

Last edited by lotusflwr; 04-25-2013 at 11:33 PM.
lotusflwr is offline   Reply With Quote