Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #1 
DeadlyNightshade

Not sure what's going on... :(

Hi, I'm new to the site and could use some help with my betta. His name is Otho. I got him from a pet store a couple of months ago.

I used to have him in a small tank and he liked to hang out in his fake plant a lot but I noticed he started getting stuck and I didn't want him to get to the point where he'd be out of the water so I got him a 1 gal tank. I followed all the instructions to a tee but now I fear something is very wrong.

The first day he just kind of hung around at the bottom of the tank but he would get frisky and swim around. He also was eating.

Last night he went to the top of the tank and is just sitting there sucking air like it's going outta style. (He's been like that ever since.)

I tried to stimulate him a little by putting his mirror in front of him and he won't even flare, it's like he doesn't even see himself.

The smaller tank I had from him didn't have an air stone or a light, this one does. How much of a difference would that cause? Is Otho blind? Is he super sensitive to the light in the tank? Is he getting too much oxygen? Should I put him back in his small tank?

I just don't know what to do at this point. I'm afraid I did more harm then good trying to make him more comfortable. HELP!
DeadlyNightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #2 
Ashkat

Ok... I don't have enough experience yet to help you much, but here's some questions that the experienced folks are gonna want to know:

Do you have a filter?
a heater?
do you do regular water changes?

Also, this thread: http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=882 has a bunch of questions that you might try also. Not all of them will apply to your situation though.

Good luck!

~Ashkat
Ashkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #3 
Flashygrrl

Definitely need to know your water change schedule. Have you tested the water? We always ask that you use the API liquid freshwater kit regardless of tank size, test strips are JUNK
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #4 
Kim

Sounds like ammonia poisoning to me. Do a large (50% or more, not 100 though) water change to bring ammonia down. My guess is that your tank has not cycled (does anyone else know if a 1 gallon tank can cycle??). This means that there is not enough benificial bacteria to convert fish waste (ammonia) to nitrite, and then to nitrate. I would go out and buy a good liquid test kit that includes pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. What is your water change schedule, and do you use gravel in this tank? It may be that the tank will never cycle and you will just have to keep up on frequent water changes. Honestly, the easiest thing to do would be to get a 2.5 gallon or bigger tank. The larger the tank is, the easier it is to maintain because it will be able to build up biological filtration and water parameters will be much more stable, leading to much happier and longer lived fish. Contrary to common belief, betta fish need as much care as any other fish including regular water changes, a filter, good quality food, and a heater. They also enjoy to swim around their space. If you can absolutely not upgrade your tank, you may have to do partial water changes daily.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #5 
DeadlyNightshade

OK so, I went to the pet store today and got some help. The lady I talked to said it sounded like ammonia poisoning to her so she gave me some stuff that would automatically Ph the tank to 7.0. She also gave me an antibiotic because he might also have a fungal infection. So I followed all the instructions, now what? How long will it take before I know if anything I did helped?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #6 
JMeenen

I would not use fungal medication if there is no evidence of fungal infection on your fish ..that will just further stress him out.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #7 
Tyyrlym

Without knowing what your pH is there's no way to know if adjusting it will do anything. I've heard that ammonia poisoning is more rapid at higher pH but a significant water change would be a faster way to bring the ammonia down in the system and less stressful for the fish. A rapid pH swing could kill him especially if he's already distressed.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #8 
DeadlyNightshade

I'm hearing sooooo many different things now that it's driving me nuts! *cries* :( I just want him to be ok...
Old 07-15-2008, 04:01 PM   #9 
Tyyrlym

If its a water contaminate and there's a good chance it is, a 50% water change, removing half the water in his tank and putting in new dechlorinated tap water, will cut the contaminate levels in half.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #10 
DeadlyNightshade

Well, I changed the water (50%) of it. There's really no change... he doesn't seem to be gasping for air anymore but he's still hanging around the top of the tank. He seems to be swimming more, but still no reaction when he sees his reflection, I'm kinda wondering if he's blind. I gave him a couple of blood worms for a treat but he won't touch them. I honestly don't know what else there is for me to do but just sit and wait.