Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1 
slug61

Prime + StressCoat+

Can you put StressCoat+ in the tank if you have already put Prime in it?
My fish has 2 tears and I did a water change today with Prime (didn't have the StressCoat+ yet)
So, is it OK to use both at the same time...or do I wait till next water change?
slug61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #2 
lotusflwr

I use both together all the time without any problems. In fact, I use Stress Coat very liberally when my betta has fin tears. He swims up to the top and I squirt it right over him. I am pretty sure it is mostly aloe... I've been using it for 10+ years and unless you dumped a whole bottle into a very small tank, I can't think of a way to OD a fish on it.

Prime's directions state you can dose up to 5 times the normal amount if necessary, so even if Stress Coat uses similar ingredients for neutralizing the chlorine and chloramines, it should be fine.
lotusflwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #3 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflwr View Post
I use both together all the time without any problems. In fact, I use Stress Coat very liberally when my betta has fin tears. He swims up to the top and I squirt it right over him. I am pretty sure it is mostly aloe... I've been using it for 10+ years and unless you dumped a whole bottle into a very small tank, I can't think of a way to OD a fish on it.

Prime's directions state you can dose up to 5 times the normal amount if necessary, so even if Stress Coat uses similar ingredients for neutralizing the chlorine and chloramines, it should be fine.
I have a charcoal filter. Does that matter at all? Will the aloe in the StressCoat clog up the filter pad??
Old 04-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #4 
lotusflwr

No, StressCoat works fine with charcoal and most filter media, with perhaps the exception of Seachem's Purigen.

Even with Purigen, I have used StressCoat with it many, many times without noticing any problems, but they do say in the instructions that use of some slime coat products can affect the regeneration of the Purigen.

Edit to add in clarification from Seachem about Purigen + StressCoat use for posterity:

Quote:
Stresscoat will not ruin the Purigen. You just need to make sure that when you regenerate Purigen, you use Prime instead of the Stresscoat to remove the chlorine and chloramine. What happens is when you use bleach to regenerate Purigen, the amines from the products bind to the chlorine in bleach and can release chloramines. Since Prime will remove chlorine and chloramines, you will be fine if you use it instead.
So with that, I'm pretty comfortable saying using API StressCoat+ as a fish treatment should be fine in just about any circumstance; using it as the primary or sole means of dechlorination is the only instance that might give some Purigen users an issue.

Last edited by lotusflwr; 04-26-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Adding Seachem comments.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #5 
slug61

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusflwr View Post
No, StressCoat works fine with charcoal and most filter media, with perhaps the exception of Seachem's Purigen.

Even with Purigen, I have used StressCoat with it many, many times without noticing any problems, but they do say in the instructions that use of some slime coat products can affect the regeneration of the Purigen.

Edit to add in clarification from Seachem about Purigen + StressCoat use for posterity:

So with that, I'm pretty comfortable saying using API StressCoat+ as a fish treatment should be fine in just about any circumstance; using it as the primary or sole means of dechlorination is the only instance that might give some Purigen users an issue.
Thanks, I just added the StressCoat+
Tomorrow when i do a water change i will just use the StressCoat+
How long before the fins should heal?
It has already been almost 4 days with no improvement or signs of re-growth.
Or, will that only happen with the addition of StressCoat+??
Old 04-26-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 
lotusflwr

How long depends on the fish and whether the initial problem that caused the tearing is resolved. My betta goes through tail-biting phases and seems rather prone to tears if the water flow from his filter is anything above a trickle, so it takes his fins a while to recover sometimes.

Generally, the fins will knit themselves back together from the body outwards. The regrowth is kind of hard to see, because at first it looks transparent/almost clear, then gradually colors back in. Your betta's coloring may or may not be the same as before the tear, too -- my betta is dark blue with a greenish/gold sheen, plus red undercoloring, but his tears almost always grow back clear and then turn red rather than the blue/blue-green it started as.

Aquarium salt, constant temperatures, and clean, slow-flowing water (if you have a filter) help, as do keeping up with your partial water changes. I think the Stress Coat helps, or at least can't hurt, so I use about 0.5-1mL daily when my betta is healing up. I also soak his food in Seachem Garlic Guard to help support his immune system.

Try to keep him from flaring, too, and if you suspect he's getting excited at his own reflection, consider covering his tank with a towel or pillowcase to keep him calm for a few days.

My betta has had sudden, severe tears almost up to his body that mended up in about a week, but he's also had periods of tail-biting and subsequent fin holes and tears that go on for over a month before he finally gets back to looking decent -- hopefully your betta isn't as self-destructive though. :)