Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2008, 08:03 PM   #1 
muffygirl

cycling new tank

Hi all...i have purchased a 10 gallon tank and started a fishless cycle 2 weeks ago. I am using the pure ammonia drops as in the directions. 3-5 drops of pure ammonia per gallon or enough to bring the leverl to 4-5. I have all my decorations, gravel, a heater,filter and a air stick. The water is evaporating fast. The directions tell me NOT to add fresh water. What should I do? Also is there any way to get it to cycle faster the test kit is indicating no movement from the highest level yet?

I do have another tank that is 1.5 gallons that is testing out at zero for ammonia. Can I use the gravel from that tank to speed up the process?
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:39 AM   #2 
Pasfur

Re: cycling new tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffygirl
I do have another tank that is 1.5 gallons that is testing out at zero for ammonia. Can I use the gravel from that tank to speed up the process?
If the 1.5 gallon tank is established, yes you can seed your 10 gallon.

If you add water to replace evaporation during your fishless cycle, use a simple dechlorinator. Do not use anything that bonds or removes ammonia, such as Prime, Amquel, etc.

In the future, for partial water changes after a cycle, then you should use the normal water conditioner, such as Amquel.
Pasfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #3 
Kim

I don't think that it will matter that some of the water is evaporating. The bacteria form in the gravel, not the water so as long as there is a source for ammonia it doesn't really matter.

Yes, you can seed the tank with gravel from an established aquarium. Filter media works as well.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 AM   #4 
Tyyrlym

Depending on the filter you could have issues with it not running properly if the tank level drops to much. Mine can't pull water up the intake tube if the water drops too low. Of course it doesn't have that problem until 15 gallons are out of my tank so its only a problem during 30%+ water changes but still, its possible.
Tyyrlym is offline   Reply With Quote