Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #1 
tmz

i finally decided to up-grade

i've noticed that my fish was extremely energetic. especially for a female one. she zooms around liek mad and assaults everything, but not in a bad stressed out way, thats just what it does. so while i was out today, i decided to get it a bigger tank. unfortunately, the space is my room is wicked limited so i could only get a 2.5 gallon tank . but its still soo much bigger then a one gallon bowl. i put little silk fake plants and a sabor tooth tiger skull cave thing in it. bagel seems to be having a grand old time exploring it and racing from side to side.

but anyway, i was just wondering if i would need a filter for the tank. i'm going to be doing 100% water changes once a week.

i do not plan on getting a heater, my room is 75 degrees or higher year round and i dont want to boil my fish. also, my fish gets bummed out in really warm water. i really have no idea why.
tmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #2 
Flashygrrl

Great to hear you're getting bigger tank :)

You don't need to be doing 100% changes in a 2.5, 2-3 partials a week will be plenty and healthier for Bagel cuz then you don't have to move her.

As for a filter, a lot of people vouch for that little Azoo Palm filter that you can get on http://bigalsoline.com or http://drfostersmith.com. I've also used Whisper filters in my tanks and they work pretty good, they have a very small internal that just hooks up to your air pump but I have yet to try it yet.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #3 
tmz

yeah my fish seems wicked happy with it.

oh. ok. that'll prolly be much easier.

thanks, i'll look into the filters =)
Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM   #4 
ErinBBC

Just FYI - the heater I have cost about twenty bucks and it's maintains the temp on it's own...I just set it at 78 degrees and it keeps the water that temp by turning on, turning off, or using less or more heat. If you got one of those you wouldn't have to worry about cooking Bagel. Remember just because your room temp is 75, doesn't mean the water is so check the water temp often, especially at night and early morning, and then if you decide you need a heater you can get one of the kind I have.

I'm sure Bagel will LOVE her new home and all the extra space. It's a sign of how well she's taken care of that she's so feisty!
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM   #5 
tmz

what brand is your heater?
Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 AM   #6 
Flashygrrl

You'd probably want one of these: http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...d10wminiheater

Those Hydor mini ones are ok too, but when it becomes summertime and people's houses get warmer they get harder to use (figured that one out by personal experience)
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:48 AM   #7 
tmz

thanks =)
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #8 
ErinBBC

Mine's an Aqueon, Top Fin makes them too but most Petsmart type places don't carry the small ones so look online. Also just so you know mine for a 5 gallon tank cost $23, I would guess yours would be cheaper since it's smaller.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #9 
tmz

awesome.
i will compare them and stuff =)
Old 07-16-2008, 03:59 PM   #10 
tmz

im really glad i upped the tank size when i did. i think my fish grew a little.