Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #1 
Adnamac

Help me help her!

Got a female betta from Petsmart in pretty sickly condition. Couldn't pass on the poor girl, and am really hoping to be able to help her. I'm just not sure how, so please help me help her?

Not knowing quite what to do I haven't really done much with yet except get her into a warmer tank.

She's doesn't seem to be lethargic at all, and is activly trying to keep herself upright. Currenlty she can't seem to stay submerged, and is floating at the top. When she stops fighting for a moment she is floating on her side. She is also pretty bloated.

Since she seems very active, I am really hoping I can help her feel better. :)

Loading a few pictures to my photobucket now to help out, since my explination is rather lacking.
Adnamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #2 
Corsica

From much of the research I have done on this forum you will want to start her on an Epson salt treatment of 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. Premix it, don't add it into her water with her. You can go as high as 3 tsps per gallon if her condition doesn't improve or worsens. If she is constipated then feeding a small amount of thawed daphnia can help with relief. I've used these methods with my one SBD/Bloat girl.
She could potentially have internal parasites but I will let a more experienced fish keeper comment on that.
Corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:32 PM   #3 
Adnamac

After I posted I went and reviews the stickys, I'm just a little afraid to go and do something as of yet without a second opinion of a bit more experience betta keeper. I don't want to hurt the poor girl in an effort to help her!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #4 
Adnamac

The pictures mentioned:

Old 04-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #5 
Corsica

Espon salt will not hurt her. If you search "bloat" or "sbd" on this forum you will see it as the recommended treatment for both those symptoms. I'd start her in some right away.

I dealt with it for 2 weeks with my one girl. After a heated tank, Epson treatments, fasting, and adding Indian Almond Leaves she is normal. I also crushed up her pellets and soaked them in garlic juice as a natural way of potentially cleaning out any internal parasites. Though I never saw white poop with her, so it was more of a precaution and she loves the taste.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Aw, poor little girl.

As Corsica said, Epsom salt is a safe treatment. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It acts as a laxative (in people and fish), and helps reduce fluid retention. Therefore, it may help with bloating, constipation and buoyancy issues.

Epsom salt is not "aquarium salt." (Aquarium salt can only be used for short periods of time, as it contains sodium, which contributes to fluid retention, puts stress on the kidneys, and can lead to eventual kidney failure.) Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. Since it contains no sodium, it doesn't put stress on the kidneys, and is safe to use for internal issues.

Also, what is the temperature in her tank? Bettas do well at temps between 76-84F. (Approximately 79F is considered "ideal.")

I recommend using Epsom salt (starting with a dosage of 1 teaspoon per gal), and getting her water temp to about 78-79F.

Epsom salt can be purchased at pharmacies and supermarkets. Look for 100% pure magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, additives, or perfumes.)

Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt into a gallon of conditioned water that is the same temp as her current tank water. Stir or shake until the salt is completely dissolved.

Is she still in her plastic cup? Or do you have her in a tank? Let us know where she's located, and we can give you directions on how to acclimate her to the Epsom salt solution. You'll want to do this slowly, so that you don't shock her system.

As Corsica mentioned, you can also try garlic, fasting and Indian Almond Leaves. (If you don't have Indian Almond Leaves, you may be able to use Oak Leaves. If you want to try this, let us know.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #7 
Adnamac

The little lady is not in the cup, I put her in a bare 1 gallon cube tank last night shortly after posting. I had only filled the tank 1/2 way and add 1/2 tsp Epsom salt, dissolved, to it. That was last night. Unfortunaly it looks like the small tank heater I also purchased got left behind at the store somehow, so the water is currently unheated. I'm doing my best with a lamp. I'll be going out soon to pick up the left behind heater.
She perked up last night after getting her for the cup...the stress stripes went away and her color POPED. She was still side flosting/swimming though.

I'm getting ready to change out her water for some fresh, and I'll add a bit more salt. The bloating is certinally still there. I'll probably pick up so e of the suggested items when I go to get the heater.

Is there anything else I can do?
Old 04-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, it's good that her stress stripes went away, and that her color came out. These are good signs.

Keep her in the Epsom salt solution. It may take a few days for it to work.

Has she pooped at all? That would be another good sign.

What kind of food do you have for her? As Corsica suggested, frozen (thawed) daphnia can help relieve constipation, if she has that.

I don't know if you're feeding her yet, but when you do, make sure it's a high protein pellet. Foods that contain a lot of grains (soybean, wheat, corn, etc) can contribute to bloating and constipation. The two most often recommended foods on this forum are: New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. (I prefer pellets to flakes, personally, as I find them easier to measure out, and less messy if they fall to the bottom of the tank.)
Old 04-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #9 
Corsica

Once my girl remained stable for a few days I started feeding her again but this time I crushed her pellets up, added some garlic juice, and fed that to her via an eye dropper.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #10 
LittleBlueFishlets

Good point, Corsica! After my guy recovered from bloat, I started out by feeding him bits of a crushed pellet, too. (He now eats like a little piggy. LOL)