Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #1 
Enkil

Looking for advice

Just looking for some input...

What I am doing:
I will be getting my hobby and breeding back up and going. To do so, I am going to be getting a bunch of tanks cleaned up and ready to use. In all my tanks I would like to use live plants.

Cycling:
I do plan on cycling tanks before stocking them with any fish. I plan on doing this with no fish in the tanks.

Plants?:
I do plan on using live plants in my tanks.

What I am looking for input on:

- Which way for cycling is the quickest/most effective without having fish in the tank?

- Plants. What plants should I look into buying? I know that I'll look into java moss as I've had good experience with it in the past. However, I would like suggestions on other plants. Especially for my sorority tank and spawning tank.

- Lighting. In the past, I have used the standard lighting that comes with the tank or the LED lighting that came with the tank. Is there lighting you have found particularly effective? Is there certain lighting that helps take better pictures?

- Fish. I'm looking for females. Have you purchased females from someone in particular (in the US without importing) and had good experiences? Would really like something other than red.

- Decor. What kinds of hiding places do you guys use? I've used a wide variety in the past, but I'm not sure what to go with this time.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:48 PM   #2 
JellOh

- Which way for cycling is the quickest/most effective without having fish in the tank?
Seeding. It's when you take something with BB on it (like gravel or filter media) and put it into the tank while filtering the tank. Some people have used "instant cycles" and have had success; I've never tried it though.

- Plants. What plants should I look into buying? I know that I'll look into java moss as I've had good experience with it in the past. However, I would like suggestions on other plants. Especially for my sorority tank and spawning tank.

It really depends on your lighting. If you want to go low tech and low lighting I could get you a list of suitable plants.

- Lighting. In the past, I have used the standard lighting that comes with the tank or the LED lighting that came with the tank. Is there lighting you have found particularly effective? Is there certain lighting that helps take better pictures?
I couldn't tell ya 8D

- Fish. I'm looking for females. Have you purchased females from someone in particular (in the US without importing) and had good experiences? Would really like something other than red.
AquaBid and even eBay are great places to get live fish of high quality.

- Decor. What kinds of hiding places do you guys use? I've used a wide variety in the past, but I'm not sure what to go with this time.
Tons of people use terra cotta pots as cheap caves. You just need to break out the bottom or seal it up so your fish won't try swimming through the hole. Silk plants are recommended over plastic plants as plastic plants have a tendency to cut fins. Make sure they don't have a wire in the middle used to support them. If you find a plastic plant you do want to use you can go over it with some panty hose and if the decor snags the panty hose it'll snag your fish' fins. A lot of people also use floating betta logs and betta hammocks, but I haven't tried either so I can't really give you any advice on those.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 
Enkil

I don't really want to use any plastic/silk plants this time. I've used silk ones before without any issues, but I rather just go with all live plants now.

Hadn't really thought of using the pots before because of that hole. My friend is rather handy though, so might be able to have him fix them so they'd be safe for aquarium use. Maybe even have one cut in half for use in the sorority I'm planning.

For lighting... I think it'd be medium lighting more than low. The area I'll be using has natural lighting though not very direct.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #4 
Kanra Chan

I've used the betta hammocks and logs. They work great as resting and hiding places, my fish love them.

I would recommend a silk plant if you can get one that is the same colour as your betta. Bettas gain great security from something they can camouflage with. The closer it is to their colour, the more they will drift to it.

I've owned two bi-coloured bettas, and they always go for the plant closest to their fin colour, not their body colour.

A cave system is a good idea too, if it isn't on the bottom of the tank.
I have a 10gal, so it's pretty deep. When I put my cave system on the bottom, the fish didn't spend much time there because it's a long swim back up to the top for air.
Kanra Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #5 
Enkil

I don't trust the betta hammocks. I used them before. The risk of rust is just too much for me really. Haven't tried the betta logs before. Might have to look into getting some of them. Do they ever have the odd sharp edge that needs sanding?

Hmm. I never noticed that kind of behavior with my sorority last time. I had girls that liked certain kinds of plants/decor or areas of the tank though. Had one that loved the little barrel hidey decoration I had at the bottom. She spent most of her time in it. I always make sure to have hiding/resting places for them at the bottom, mid-level, and surface of the tank. My sorority was in a 10 gal and most of my girls spent most of their time at the bottom or mid-level. Only one stayed closer to the surface.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
Just looking for some input...

What I am doing:
I will be getting my hobby and breeding back up and going. To do so, I am going to be getting a bunch of tanks cleaned up and ready to use. In all my tanks I would like to use live plants.

What I am looking for input on:

Dr Tim's cycling bacteria

IAL, some big leafy plants that you can also float to provide shelter for the bubble nests

CFL Full Spectrum, 65ppK LED full spectrum

If you join IBC (International Bette Conference), they give out a free pair for breeding. The gift is dependent on donor members though.

You may want to check out the judging guidelines for IBC to get an idea what to look for in a particular pair to avoid defects or sub-standard outcomes even though you may not be going to competition.

Not TopFin, Not Penn Plax, the paint comes off (check posts here) and some have wires that rust.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote