Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #1 
Auburn Sakura

Unhappy Clamped/Torn Fins, Please Help!

Housing
What size is your tank? - About 1 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? - Between 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes, sometimes we turn it off though because it disrupts the water more noticeably.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - No...
Is your tank heated? - No...
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - A Talking Catfish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Aqueon Betta Food.
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? - About once a week if not every few days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - Usually 50% changes.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - Betta+ water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: - ???
Nitrite: - ???
Nitrate: - ???
pH: - ???
Hardness: - ???
Alkalinity: - ???

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - The clamping has gotten worse. When we got him, he had clamped fins at the pet-store (Petco.). The clamping has gotten worse since we've had him...
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - No change. He is a curious fish, that seems to act happy. (In our opinions, although my mother and I are not sure.) Just today he started "Cuddling" inbetween the filter and the corner of the tank. He usually swims around and eats well, although sometimes he lays at the bottom of the tank to rest. He also seems very interested in a water lily bulb that is planted at the bottom of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Ever since we got him.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - We've started to use Bettafix, which is a suggestion we got from the internet. We're not sure if it's going to help considering it says it's not meant for clamped fins. We do not use the full dosage as either, as we were recommended not to. That and it smells REALLY strong.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? - Ever since we got him from the pet-store.
How old is your fish (approximately)? - We do not know.

That's pretty much all we know so far. My mother and I are both VERY concerned for his wellfare. His name is Cherche. We have some pictures of him in our albums on our profile from when we first got him. I also plan on getting some more recent pictures soon. When I get them I'll post them to this. To tell, from the from the pictures of when we first got him, it looks as if the clamping of his main fin has doubled. His tail-fin looks twice as small now. Anyway, please help! We're desperately worried about Cherche!

Last edited by Auburn Sakura; 04-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.
Auburn Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 
HeroicPoison

Stop bettafix please, this medication is very controversial.
Fresh clean warm water. I also suggest buying him a heater, his temperature may be fluctuating causing stress which can cause clamped fins.
Also you need a bigger tank, a one gallon is way too small for two fish. Your bio load is too large for that tank.
Try the larger tank more decor for him to hide in and the heater. These things together should lower his stress levels greatly which could improve his condition greatly. Ensure you have plants the go up past the water level. Bettas love leaves near the surface of the water to rest on. All my babies have betta beds they love them :)
If these things don't help let me know, but I have great faith that they will.
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:54 AM   #3 
Auburn Sakura

Alright, thank you for the advice. We will try to fix all of these things as soon as we can. (:)
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 
HeroicPoison

Keep me updated :) give him a few days and if he doesn't improve PM me if needed
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #5 
Auburn Sakura

Alright, will do. :)
Old 04-26-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 
Auburn Sakura

There are some plants in with Cherche, I hope he can discover that he can lay on them. ^.^
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Auburn, most talking catfish get to be about 6" or more so ideally, if you can get the catfish a 20gal tank, you could have a nice community with some schooling fish up in the top layers of the tank. Then your betta can have his own tank. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #8 
Auburn Sakura

Thank you Sakura8. :) I realize he can get big, he's pretty small now, and we'll move him into a bigger tank soon. Cherche is in his own tank right now with a luscious fern, so hopefully he'll make a nice recovery. ^.^
Old 04-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #9 
Sakura8

I hope so. Good luck! :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:14 AM   #10 
Auburn Sakura

^.^ Thanks! :D

Tags
bettafix, clamped fins, petco, talking catfish, torn fins