Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #1 
shushcat

Unhappy a tale of woe with snails and bettas

So I decided to buy two mystery snails for my divided 10 gallon, named Dave (the big one) and Carl (the small one).

Even in the bag, Dave was secreting stuff, and it seemed like he was sick or stressed. I put him on Eris's side, because that betta is definitely more chill, and I figured Dave needed a low stress environment - I even acclimated him way longer than I ever did for any of my bettas!

Carl was perky from the beginning. When I was acclimating him to the water, he was out waving around like Whooo! And then, in the Kraken's side, he was out and cruising around, even when the Kraken started to circle him. He was all like Whoo, hi neighbor I'm a snail! Yaay! Then the Kraken viciously attacked him, tearing out huge chunks before I rescued Carl and put him on Eris's side

The two snails were in the tank, side by side, overnight, and the next morning they hadn't moved at all. So I wondered if Eris was secretly harassing them since he kept flaring at them before (why?? DO THEY LOOK LIKE BETTAS TO YOU ERIS). In any case, I switched them out to their own container and changed the water frequently to help them heal.

They died the next day

No invertebrate I try out ever lasts more than 24 hours even with the freshest water ughhh, and seeing the Kraken live up to his name was just sad. I know snails are typically recommended as a good betta companion, so I was wondering if anyone else had any stories that suggest otherwise!
shushcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #2 
Fin Fancier

I just got my nerite snail, Nemo, a little over a week ago. He is currently residing my ten gallon tank with Gills. Gills was not overmuch thrilled with his new neighbor, and resorted to blowing out his tail (which is now healing nicely) while flaring at him. A week later and Nemo is speeding (for a snail) across the glass happily cleaning my algae, Gills is largely ignoring him. I chose a nerite snail because another member told me they don't come out of their shell as much so its harder for a betta to harass them. So far they are getting on just swimmingly. (pun intended) xD
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #3 
Xeek

Mystery snails have too much body extending out of the shell, a betta is likely to make a tasty meal out of them if he just so happens to get a taste of it.

I prefer nerites with my bettas, they're very well armored and have next to nothing protruding around the sides of their shells. There's virtually nothing for a betta to attack on them.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #4 
shushcat

I might have to check out nerite snails now that I know my bettas are murderous
Old 04-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #5 
WolfHhowling

Quote:
Originally Posted by shushcat View Post
I might have to check out nerite snails now that I know my bettas are murderous
That and you can treat your tanks with salt with them if need be lol. Got to love the nerites.

Sadly ware ware art thou? Because I am not having good luck finding them in Pa.

They come in all kinds of colors and patterns to. So hope you don't loos your mind trying to figure out which two to buy. Oh and if you get them, kiss your algae permanently good by!
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #6 
shushcat

They are sounding more and more like a dream come true Because I definitely have algae after using Flourish!

I'm near Pittsburgh, and Petsmart stocks mystery snails. I don't recall if they have nerites, but I also wasn't really looking for them. There's also a lfs nearby that would probably have them.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM   #7 
fish keeper 2013

I would suggest malaysian trumpet snails, their shells are incredibly hard and they spen most their time burrowing (where the betta can't get them).
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #8 
Tikibirds

MTS will reproduce like mad though. I have apple snails in with my bettas and never really had an issue..I would say try the nerite or maybe one MTS.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #9 
NeptunesMom

It all depends on the betta. My Neptune is fine with snails. He is extremely laid back. I tried to get my girl, Eponine, a snail and she attacked the poor thing. I moved it into Neptune's tank. Neptune is no longer in that tank, but in a 2.5 g. So, no pet snail for him right now. But hopefully, in the future he can get one when I move him Marius, and Ranger into my new 3 divided 10 g tank. I've been toying with the idea of giving Marius his own snail too, but I'm not sure he's passive enough. Eponine's snail is now about the size of a ping pong ball... so I think Marius would have trouble attacking him.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #10 
crowntaillove3

I had two mystery snails in one of my betta's 2.5 gallon (only for a temporary home for them, I know this is overstocking) for a week until I could get them into the 15 gallon. They were fine. Then, they were about the size of your fingernail and now they are the bigger than the size of your thumbs if you put your thumbs on top on one another. It might have been the size. Mine grow like weeds.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote