Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #1 
love4bettas

Prefilters as baffles, sort of

I just read an article where a betta owner uses pre filters around her already owned filters with the long plastic with the intake and she puts the prefilter which fits on it and it slows down the intake of the water. She says that the particles still get through the prefilter and the water is being cleaned and debris is being sucked in. Anyone here of this? I set up all my filters with the baffling I learned to do here and I'm really not 100 percent happy with the still too much flow. These filters are internal for up to 3 gallons and really are pulling a punch with power. If I put a prefilter on the intake I feel that may solve the outtake water flow but don't want to do it at the detriment of my boys and cleaning up the water. Any opinions?
love4bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #2 
logisticsguy

I use sponge prefilters on all hob intakes. Prevents fish getting sucked up, it happened to me once and are like having an extra filter. The prefilter gets squeezed out during water changes in old tank water. the amount of gunk it removes is incredible and lots of bb remains in the sponge. Fluval makes a good one that has fit on every hob I have. The amount of flow reduction out of the hob is minimal so its effect as a baffle to slow the outflow down is not much at all. The best way to slow outflow imo is the plastic bottle cut in half method and I just use duct tape to attach it to the hob and make adjustments on the angle. Or go all sponge filters which work very well for me. Good luck.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM   #3 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
I use sponge prefilters on all hob intakes. Prevents fish getting sucked up, it happened to me once and are like having an extra filter. The prefilter gets squeezed out during water changes in old tank water. the amount of gunk it removes is incredible and lots of bb remains in the sponge. Fluval makes a good one that has fit on every hob I have. The amount of flow reduction out of the hob is minimal so its effect as a baffle to slow the outflow down is not much at all. The best way to slow outflow imo is the plastic bottle cut in half method and I just use duct tape to attach it to the hob and make adjustments on the angle. Or go all sponge filters which work very well for me. Good luck.
It's unfortunate I'm such a novice that everyone trying to explain things to me seem very complicated and takes me triple the time to go from reading to understanding to actually doing it. I have the bottle baffling done and the water still is too much. I don't have hob filters. They are the whisper 25i's. The other 4 are aqueon hob filters that come with the tank set up. Shoved filter media in the outtake put it's so poress(sp) that it really does nothing. The whisper filters just move the water around. I tried the prefilter idea on the hob filters I have and now the debris isn't being sucked in as much and the tanks weren't cleaning like before so I took the prefilters off and now the water is crystal clear and the tanks are clean of debris. Maybe I'm just being too critical. Maybe the amount of flow is ok for the bettas. Maybe I don't know how much is too much and that should have been my first question. I'm feeling defeated right now. I'm a perfectionist in everything I do and I'm starting not to enjoy all this. I don't want this to be a project. Maybe I just have to downsize where cleaning out 10 tanks everyday doesn't have to be done meaning cutting back half of what I have. I don't know. Have to think about this. I so appreciate your help and have tried what you mentioned but as I said I think my problem besides being a perfectionist is that there has to be some flow and maybe what I have is ok. I just need to know how much is enough and how much is too much and what to do with 6 tanks with the whisper tanks that don't clean at all.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #4 
logisticsguy

Ok I understand. Im not a big fan of that particular filter, it is ineffective imo.

I suggest reading a thread here on sponge filters for all your tanks. Waterdogs thread has lots of info and should be a sticky.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....aterdog+sponge

They can all be run off 1 or 2 pumps depends on size and are really cheap. I have 15 tanks on 3 pumps and adjust the flow for each one to exactly what is appropriate, they don't need to be raring along just a nice steady flow of bubbles. If any of my hobs break down they are thrown out and replaced by a sponge filter. They work great ime and just make sure you squeeze them out in old tank water every week to keep good bb on them.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #5 
love4bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by logisticsguy View Post
Ok I understand. Im not a big fan of that particular filter, it is ineffective imo.

I suggest reading a thread here on sponge filters for all your tanks. Waterdogs thread has lots of info and should be a sticky.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....aterdog+sponge

They can all be run off 1 or 2 pumps depends on size and are really cheap. I have 15 tanks on 3 pumps and adjust the flow for each one to exactly what is appropriate, they don't need to be raring along just a nice steady flow of bubbles. If any of my hobs break down they are thrown out and replaced by a sponge filter. They work great ime and just make sure you squeeze them out in old tank water every week to keep good bb on them.
Thank you so much for being so patient. I will read the link you left for me and again my sincerest thanks. I am having a tad more problems with filters than I thought I would. I'm sure more reading will help.