Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 12:00 AM   #1 
veggiegirl

Feeding Question

From What age can you feed fry baby brine shrimp?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 
trilobite

I usually do it after one week of free swimming
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 
veggiegirl

So what do they need to be fed for the first week?
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #4 
trilobite

Mainly microworms. I usually find infusoria and other small creatures living in their tank that they snack on but its not enough to give them a full meal, its mainly a between meal snack
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #5 
Myates

I feed banana worms first as they are the smallest, then after a few days I give them a mix of banana and walter worms.. then after a week or so I'll move to BBS (depending upon the size of the fry). I'll continue to feed the worms on some meals as they wiggle on the bottom longer than the BBS will live.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 AM   #6 
wish4coner

I started feeding egg yolk, and then introduced instant BBS. It was messy however and just started microworms (end of week one). I will never use anything else again! It spreads nice, no mess and they don't jump when you feed them. I use a cotton swab and smear it around in the water where they are congregating. Seems to be a very nice choice, for me, anyway.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #7 
Myates

Only problem with the MWs is many people believe they cause bacteria on the bottom of the tank, and the fry who spend more time down there end up with no ventrals. It's not a proven fact, but something that goes around the breeding circle. Many breeders refuse to feed MWs now (myself included as some of my fry that was fed them ended up with no vents or very stubby ones).
Why I stick with banana and walter - they are exactly like MW, require the same care and way of feeding.. just don't cause that particular bacteria.

But, others have no problems, or very few problems with MW - so it's each breeder's choice.

I never tried the instant BBS - I just go the old fashioned route and hatch them myself.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #8 
wish4coner

I will see if I can get a live culture of either of those. I really had no clue about these type of things, until I came here. Our LFS here tend to recommend blood worms, bbs eggs you hatch and, I just don't have the space to hatch my own. And, admit..the mess is enough with just changing fish water. :)

Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into it!
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #9 
Myates

BBS hatchery is as big as a 2L soda bottle.. as that is what I use to hatch mine :) The air pump on the other hand.. but you should already have that for the sponge filters :)

Bloodworms are too big for tiny fry.. once they reach a couple months of age you can try them.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #10 
Laurenie

They have instant BBS? How does that work--I'm guessing frozen? I too always went the "old-fashioned" way too w/the upside down 2L soda bottle and airstone--kinda a pain sometimes with the 12 hr cycle to remember but still pretty easy and nbd. I had always been under the impression that during the first few days (of free swimming) they needed to have access to lots of infusoria, via either live plants in the tank or cultured and added at frequent intervals, egg yolk being an alternative to this but it seems with widely varying rates of success. After a few days you can start with the various worms (whether it be micro, banana, or walter is obvs personal preference), and around the week mark BBS can be introduced. I actually hadn't heard about the infusoria not being sufficient at the beginning and the importance of feeding micro/banana/walter worms as well--good to know! I've had pretty young fry succesfully eat BBS--early as 4 or 5 days--but like others have mentioned, so much just depends on the fry. I was also able to feed frozen bloodworms a little earlier than a couple of months by defrosting them and chopping them up into tiny pieces.
Laurenie is offline   Reply With Quote