Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #1 
Deanna01

Two new bettas: huge difference in behavior :(

I went to PetCo and ended up with two new bettas yesterday. One I put into a Fluval Chi, with plenty of plants, rocks, etc. The other is going to go to my son, who has a divider coming for his 10g tank in four days, so I put him temporarily in a plain fishbowl with a little gravel and a heater. I acclimated both, used dechlorinator before putting them in, etc.

The one in the Chi is swimming everywhere, eating fine, etc. The one in the bowl just stays on the bottom, won't eat, and barely moves. :( I'm terribly worried about him. Is there something else I should do for him? Is it perhaps just the difference in having a nice tank in which to live? The forlorn betta looks perfectly healthy aside from its behavior...
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #2 
DefStatic

What is the temp of the water? What are the water parameters? How big is the bowl? Are there any decor in the bowl for hom to hide?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #3 
Nothingness

could just be stressed out a little. Any decorations in the bowl? if not give him a small cave of sorts to hide in.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #4 
Deanna01

The water parameters are good. I checked the temp...and that's probably the issue. I started with room-temp water, but the little heater I put in just must not be keeping up. The little guy's water is at 65. :( I put in another heater and will watch it. Should I add in some warmer water? I also took a plant from another tank and put it in there with him.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
VJM

Just bring the temp up slowly, about one degree per hour, and no more than five degrees in a 24 hour period.

If these are not adjustable heaters, which it sounds like they aren't, you are probably better off just getting an adjustable one so his bowl will stay at a proper, steady temperature.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #6 
smaughunter

I agree...dude is chilly. Also some bettas just take a longer period of adjustment than others.
smaughunter is offline   Reply With Quote