Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #1 
ErinBBC

surgery and can't do partial water change

Hi guys and gals, I'm having surgery and will be bedridden for 10 days so I can feed my fish but not change the water.

Marley is in a five gallon hex tank, heated, filtered, and with a hood. Since the hood keeps the water from evaporating quickly, do you think he'll be okay going a few extra days without a 25% water change? I have been doing a 25% change once a week.

If you think he'll suffer my husband can do it but he's recently hurt his back and it tends to go out on him....if that happens in the middle of a water change it would be bad because I can't finish the work for him, so I'd rather not take the chance unless it's necessary.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:43 AM   #2 
Flashygrrl

No friends that can do it for you or do you just not trust them with Marley? :) Well, 10 days is a bit much. What if hubby took out half a gallon at a time and just did 1.5 gallons worth or is that too much for him (I totally get the bad back thing ).
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:29 AM   #3 
SST

A few extra days won't hurt him.

You could do a slightly larger water change before your surgery and feed him lightly during your recovery.

One of the benefits of being in a larger tank is that you have this kind of flexibility. If he was in a smaller tank, there's no way you could fudge his water schedule by a few days without causing serious problems.

Hope you and hubby are feeling much better soonest!
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #4 
Little-Fizz

You'll be fine!!!! I've probably gone longer then ten days before Back when I wasn't living at my parents house and it was two buses across the city to get here to clean my tank, I would let it slide for a day or two. Then just do a bigger water change. So long as you do a bigger one before surgery and a bigger one as soon as your feeling well enough too you'll be fine! :D Best of luck!!! I hope your feeling better!
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #5 
ErinBBC

Thanks for the suggestions, I can do a 40% - 50% water change before the surgery and 40% - 50% change after.

Jarrod knows how to use the liquid test kit so he can monitor the ammonia, etc. and change it if he has to. Today his back felt a lot better thank goodness (he's a firefighter and they had to carry a 450 lb man down 4 flights of stairs so we had no idea how long it would take him to recover) so he might be fine in time for the regular 25% water change.
ErinBBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 AM   #6 
southafrica1001

hope you to recover soon :).

i agree that doing a large water change before and after would work. good luck :)
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 AM   #7 
Ashkat

Move the tank to temporary quarters in the bathroom or kitchen? That way there's no hauling of water long distances, maybe hubby could then do water changes with a cup or something small that won't hurt his back. Maybe even sitting down (toilet w/lid down, kitchen chair?).

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for you both!
Ashkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #8 
JMeenen

good sugestion Ashkat..One of mine is in the kitchen ..I just siphon the old water right down the sink ( I am sure that sounds gross to non fish people) and have the new water in a bottle w/dechlorinator on the couner nearby..that's the easiest one to clean.
JMeenen is offline   Reply With Quote