Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #1 
Tonksy

Unhappy White fuzz on ventral fin

Yesterday I was moving all of my betta home for the summer (I'm in college) and while I was transferring Neville, my red veiltail, he hopped out of the net and landed on my desk. Frantic, I scooped him up and was able to get him into his tank without stressing him and he's been fine since.

Today, however, I noticed he developed a small patch of white fuzz on one of his ventral fins. I immediately took him out of his tank and placed him into a .5 gallon (since he shares a divided tank with another betta). I don't have any other tanks to place him in because of the move at the moment.

He has been eating, swimming, and overall acting normal, but I'm concerned and I don't want it to spur into a full on disease or get out of hand. He has never been sick before.

What is this fuzz and how do I get rid of it?

Oops. Info, right

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon / divided
What temperature is your tank? Between 75 and 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? No. My room is warm enough to keep the temp steady.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Another male veiltail. Divided tank.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and blood worms. I switch off every couple of days what they eat.
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, 4 pellets or a small pinch of bloodworms.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% to 75% depending on week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
I have yet to buy more strips.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white fuzz on ventril
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? his behavior has not changed
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 15 minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I placed him in a different tank though.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? don't know. I would guess about a year and some. He's a rescue.

Last edited by Tonksy; 04-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Tonksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #2 
HeroicPoison

would you be able to post a picture please
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #3 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
would you be able to post a picture please
I'm trying. he won't stay still enough for a photo. I'll see if I can nab a shot.

Edit: Sorry the pics are so huge. I can't make them smaller on my phone.

Last edited by Tonksy; 04-21-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

If you could get pictures that'd be great. It's probably a fin fungus. Treat with half a teaspoon of aquarium salt if you have it (since it is a .5 gallon, so normally 1 teaspoon per gallon) make sure to pre-dissolve it first. Treat until the fuzz falls off which could take a few days, it will most likely take some of his fin with it. Do 100% water changes everyday and re-add the salt.

After the fuzz falls off discontinue the salt and start using Stress Coat at double dose (this is a water conditioner in and of it's self so no need to use other conditioners). Do this for about a week and he can go back into the tank but make sure to keep the tank sparkling clean for his new fin growth, you can also continue to use double dose of the stress coat when you change the water. His new growth will be white, so watch for that and you should be good :) Good luck to him and you!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #5 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
If you could get pictures that'd be great. It's probably a fin fungus. Treat with half a teaspoon of aquarium salt if you have it (since it is a .5 gallon, so normally 1 teaspoon per gallon) make sure to pre-dissolve it first. Treat until the fuzz falls off which could take a few days, it will most likely take some of his fin with it. Do 100% water changes everyday and re-add the salt.

After the fuzz falls off discontinue the salt and start using Stress Coat at double dose (this is a water conditioner in and of it's self so no need to use other conditioners). Do this for about a week and he can go back into the tank but make sure to keep the tank sparkling clean for his new fin growth, you can also continue to use double dose of the stress coat when you change the water. His new growth will be white, so watch for that and you should be good :) Good luck to him and you!
Just loaded up pictures. I'm hoping it's not Columnaris.
I'll need to run out and grab aquarium salt...
Old 04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #6 
HeroicPoison

Hes pretty cute XD
Its just the one patch of fuzz you see on him?

Lilnaugrim it looks a lot like that other post, does it not? Fungal fuzz you think?

Last edited by HeroicPoison; 04-21-2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: always adding more
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #7 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroicPoison View Post
Hes pretty cute XD
Its just the one patch of fuzz you see on him?
Thanks! I call him my fatcat He's huge and lazy

So far, yes.

Edit: I should mention that I put all new water in the tank when they moved home yesterday. If that could have any effect

Last edited by Tonksy; 04-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I'm not sure if my totally technical term "Fin Fungus" is correct or not, but what I posted before is what helped me get rid of it on my HM Remmy. Only it was on his dorsal and about 10 times bigger, that looks very mild and very treatable! Which is great news!

I still hold to my thought on the fungus and unless someone else objects, I say go right ahead to treat him as I had posted before. That should be falling off within two days, maybe three.

And Heroic, which other post were you thinking of?
Old 04-21-2013, 03:37 PM   #9 
Tonksy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
I'm not sure if my totally technical term "Fin Fungus" is correct or not, but what I posted before is what helped me get rid of it on my HM Remmy. Only it was on his dorsal and about 10 times bigger, that looks very mild and very treatable! Which is great news!

I still hold to my thought on the fungus and unless someone else objects, I say go right ahead to treat him as I had posted before. That should be falling off within two days, maybe three.

And Heroic, which other post were you thinking of?
Okay. I'll run out and grab some Aquarium Salt then. Thank you so much for the help! :)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome! I hope everything fares well and keep us posted!