Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #1 
HMBbetta

Stress Coat and Cycling?

I've been using Stress Coat as a conditioner for each water change while I'm trying to cycle my tank. Is this OK? I figured the fish would be stressed when I get him so might as well be prepared- right?

Is it better to use plain water conditioner?

Also- when seeding a tank, can I use gravel? How much do you think would be needed for a 5 g tank?
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #2 
Xeek

Stress coat is not a conditioner. A conditioner will remove the chlorine, etc. A stress coat is.... stress coat. The words mean what they are in this case.

You dont need to put stress coat in while your cycling until you're ready for fish.

Gravel doesn't seed the tank, gravel is gravel. There are special types of gravel you can buy that already have bacteria in them, is that what you mean? I use ecocomplete in all my tanks. It's usually 2 pounds for every gallon. I prefer to have at least 2 inches of substrate in my tanks. I probably have 3 inches of substrate in my 16 gallon tank. It made it easier to plant plants.

If you're doing an old fashioned cycle you'll also need some safe household ammonia. The bacteria feed on that and multiply, this is what a cycle is.

In all honesty since I use real plants I just pour ecocomplete in, pour my water in, condition it with Prime, plant the plants, and after a good chemical test, add my fish immediately. The plants will keep the ammonia in check. It's also preferable to not fully stock a tank like that as even though the bad stuff in the water can be kept in check with the plants - the bacteria isn't in sufficient numbers and your plants may not keep up with too many fish.

NOTE:
Some conditioners also have stress coat chemicals. Seachem Prime for example has all you need, it's what I use, a very popular brand.

Last edited by Xeek; 04-26-2013 at 04:40 PM.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #3 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Stress coat is not a conditioner. A conditioner will remove the chlorine, etc. A stress coat is.... stress coat. The words mean what they are in this case.
Wrong.

Stress coat (at least the API brand) is a water conditioner, and a great one at that. Many people, including myself prefer it over Prime.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:35 PM   #4 
Xeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryancalif View Post
Wrong.

Stress coat (at least the API brand) is a water conditioner, and a great one at that. Many people, including myself prefer it over Prime.
Did you read my note at the end?

API Stress Coat+ is also a conditioner. It removes chlorine, etc. as well as provides a slime coat for your fish.

Sorry I did not know he/she was talking about a specific product or I misread and did not see "API"
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 PM   #5 
HMBbetta

Thanks for the input guys. I am using API stress coat/conditioner. I didn't realize it also came without the conditioner aspect.

I was thinking of seeding the tank with gravel from another tank. I'm getting impatient with cycling and I just realized there is a fish tank at one of the schools where I teach. I thought I'd ask if I could have some of their gravel, but I didn't know how much I'd need to bring over the BB.

:)
HMBbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #6 
Polkadot

API Stress Coat is a great water conditioner and is very gentle as it contains aloe.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote