Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1 
justmel

Exclamation betta having bad reaction to API stress coat?

My female VT, Lofn, seems to be reacting to the API stress coat I started using yesterday. At least that is the only thing I can figure. She was hurt in a fight in the sorority and had some scales removed from both sides, so I removed her to treat her with AQ salt. She was doing fine with that, normal behavior and everything. I picked up more API stress coat+ yesterday & did a 50% water change for her, another betta being treated for fin rot, & my sorority. Lofn now is clenched tight. If I interact with her she will perk up and swim a bit, will even flare at the other female she fought with, but soon she goes back to being clenched and sitting at the top of the tank. Could she be doing this because of the API stress coat or something else?

She's currently in a quart (I know it's small, but it's only while she's being treated) container, heated to about 78-80. As I said, she's being treated for some missing scales with AQ salt. Added to her water in Prime & API stress coat. She's never been in the stress coat before since I had her . I'm in the process of giving her a 50% water change now to remove some of the stress coat from her water, but not sure that is the right step.

Has anyone else every heard of a betta not liking stress coat? All the other bettas that are using it now are fine. No reactions at all.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2 
Myates

Did you double dose it? Stress Coat sometimes causes reactions and makes them create extra slime coating.. If you double dosed it I would change her water and put just the normal dose amount in.

Could also be she is upset from being moved.. sometimes when "unhappy" they will clench up.

I wouldn't keep her in AQ salt for more than a few days, just to clean the wounds.. if she doesn't have rot then no need for full on treatment.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
justmel

No, in fact I used a slightly weaker than recommended dose because I was nervous about subjecting her to it while she wasn't feeling good due to her wounds anyway. There's no open wounds, just missing scales. I'm in the process now of slowly changing her water back to just Prime, so far I've changed 50% with no change. I don't want to do another change until the morning at least.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:00 AM   #4 
jadaBlu

You can try Jungle water conditioner with aloe. I really like it and have seen it do good things for my fish.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #5 
justmel

Thank you Jada, I might try that.

Lofn does seem to be doing slightly better this morning. She's still clamped up, but not as tightly and she's quicker to respond when she sees me. Will do another 50% water changed this morning and see from there.