Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #1 
SageMyster

Unhappy Do I Re-Home Her? ):

This is Kelby. She lives in a sorority tank with four other females, who at first all didn't get along and now co-exist splendidly. Kelby, however, was never accepted into the "pack", so to speak. The other girls nipped at her and chased her, even though she was released into the (10 gallon, heavily planted) tank at the same time they were. I thought it would be okay until I found her a few days ago hiding at the bottom of the tank, not moving for hours. Her fins were torn, but not this badly. Yesterday I looked in the tank and panicked... I couldn't find her anywhere! I finally lifted up a log and found her underneath, looking like THIS.

She's now in a breeder-keeper with the other girls circling it like sharks. I don't know what to do. Will they kill her if I release her again?! I don't want my betta to be suffering like this. At the same time, I have no other place for her. I love her but maybe she should find a new, solitary home. -sigh- What to do.

Last edited by SageMyster; 04-24-2013 at 08:59 AM.
SageMyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How long has the sorority been together?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #3 
SageMyster

Since Friday
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok. Fighting is normal and to be expected in the first two weeks. I would keep her in the breeding trap for another week or two, then let her go back in.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #5 
registereduser

Are you positive she's a female?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #6 
bannlow2471

Do you have any idea who it is that is mostly picking on her? What I have heard other people with sororities do is to isolate not just the one that is being picked on but also the one who is doing most of the bullying.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #7 
justmel

If she is female it's really up to you. The first time I tried to put my sorority together 1 of my girls nearly got killed. I took her out after 2 days when I found her trying to squeeze herself into the rocks. Gema was permanently injured. I believe they broke her back. She's healed up and gets along just fine by herself, but she has a permanent kink in her back. I have room for & no problem keeping her by herself, so I am preparing a 5 gallon tank for her. That way if I end up with another girl who just doesn't fit in the sorority, I can put up a divider & put her in the 5 gallon as well. If I end up with more than 2 I'll have to think of something else.

Right now I have 2 bullies in breeder boxes. I removed these to when they started taking bites out of each other. Not little nips on the fins, but chucks out of their sides. I tried to re-release one a couple days ago and she started going after everyone, once she cornered another in a corner & just started laying into her I removed the meany again. Today I'm going to see what the second bully will do it I give her a chance in the tank. I figured I would give them 2 weeks in the boxes and if they don't calm down remove them from the sorority. The other girls still bicker and chase each other around from time to time, but I think this is normal challenging for dominance between them.

The 2 I've had to put in time out were in a sorority together before. Amor was the alpha female that time around & Lofn the runner up. Lofn is not backing down from Amor this time and Amor isn't willing to be the second anything.

Like Matt said though, first be sure this is a female. I've bought 2 'females' from different stores that didn't make sorority life because they were males. If you have a male betta see if the 2 will flare at each other, this isn't a 100% accurate to be able to tell, but it's a starting point. The second way to tell is if she has an 'egg spot' a little white spot on the stomach that sticks out a tiny bit. If this betta flares for you & you can, get a picture if you are still unsure. People here are great at helping figure that out as well.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #8 
SageMyster

Cyrus is the one mostly picking on Kelby, so I have done as bannlow suggested and put them together in a breeder box with a divider. Cyrus is going CRAZY trying to get at Kelby.

I have double-checked and Kelby is most certainly a female. She has the white spot, as does Cyrus. Why is it that females would attack a male, though? Wouldn't it be the other way around? And many of my females did actually flare at each other when they were first released, but I haven't seen them do it since. I've heard this is normal.

And mel, I'm so sorry about your one female. I gasped when I read. Poor baby. ):
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #9 
justmel

I feel the same for Gema, but she's my special little baby now. She stays by my bedside & is quite spoiled. :)
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #10 
bannlow2471

@ SageMyster, is there any way you can put some sort of visual barrier between them, or at least a few plant cuttings or something? I imagine it would be pretty stressful for Kelby to be trying to recover right next to the main bully and maybe if there was some type of visual barrier or a place to sort of hide it would ease some of the stress.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote