Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
tygher

Concerned about Trooper

Trooper is so named because when I first got him, he handled some pretty cold conditions until I learned how to best take care of him, and keep him warm.

He's been doing well, living now in a 5 gallon Marineland Crescent with a Green Cory Catfish, and he had a Mystery Snail and African Dwarf Frog as tankmates as well. His tank was recently planted, about two weeks ago, and has driftwood in it as well. I'm struggling with the PH because of this, but that seems to be the only issue in the tank.

Recently though, I noticed a discoloration under his chin, kinda greyish-whitish. It's been developing slowly over the last week, but doesn't seem to bother him really. He's very active, swims well, and responds to my presence just like he always has - he does a little wiggle to get my attention. In addition to this, he seems to be developing a cloudiness over both eyes. I moved him to a small container (I don't have a quarantine tank available) and am changing the water twice a day to keep it clean. He is pooping fine, if slightly large and harder than normal at first (constipation?), and other than not really liking being in a small container seems to behaving normally.

I at first thought he had a fungus, and treated him with Tetra Fungus Guard for a couple days, but it didn't seem to be helping at all so I changed the water and ran the filter with a brand new media. Then I took him out and started treating with Bettafix, until I started hearing that there were some concerns about it as a cure for anything. This morning I put him in clean, dechlorinated water (I use API's StressCoat) and he seems fine other than the greyish/whitish patch and the cloudy eyes.

Can anyone tell me what this might be and how I might best treat this? I'm very attached to Trooper, and don't want to see him get sick, especially since we just lost a beautiful Dumbo that fell into our lap by sheer chance after only a week.

I attached the best pictures I could get, but he is very hard to get a good image of. He, like my cat, avoids the camera like a fiend.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallon, with driftwood and live plants.
What temperature is your tank? Between 75 and 78
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - Tetra Whisper
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1 Green Cory Catfish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Mostly pellets, occasional bloodworms. He likes to steal bloodworms when I feed my frog, so I'm trying to figure out a better way to handle that.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, 4-5 pellets a day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API StressCoat, CO2 Booster (Daily), Plant food (2 times a week)

Water Parameters:
Ph seems low (< 7.0), everything else is normal.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Whitish fuzz under his chin, eyes somewhat cloudy.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't seem very changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Fuz started to appear a week ago, cloudy eyes just showed up today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I started a couple days ago with Bettafix until I read this medication was possibly a problem. He's been moved to a small cup that I'm changing the water in twice a day.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not since I got him in October
How old is your fish (approximately)? Possibly as much as a year. I don't know how old he was when I bought him.
Attached Images

tygher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #2 
salice13

Epidemic? (a follow-up)

(a follow-up to above)

The symptoms don't seem to match, but is it possible that what ever has hold of Trooper here is the same thing that killed the new betta I posted about earlier today, manifesting a little dfferently? The cross-contamination could have come from a shared eye dropper or net. Trooper has been remarkably hardy.

For that matter, the third in the house, a DT with a voracious appetite, has suddenly decided in the last couple days to clamp down his fins and stop eating, lingering in the corner at the top of the water or down beneath a piece of driftwood, barely even moving except to drift up for a breath at the surface. Similar to the new arrival that died today.

Any advice before more are lost would be appreciated.
salice13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would start with a water change on all tanks. It won't hurt anything, and it could definitely help. I would also add a few extra drops of conditioner, in case something needs extra neutralization.

Did the fish that died display any specific symptoms (other than clamped fins and lethargy)?

Check your new live plants. Do they all look OK? Any signs of decay?... Also, I wonder if the new plants could have introduced something into the tank.

Tetra Fungus Guard contains nitrofurazone, furzolidone and potassium dichromate. So you've already used a good gram negative antibiotic. How many days did you use it? If it wasn't effective, then the white fuzziness is probably not Columnaris. How quickly is the white area spreading?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-26-2013 at 11:50 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #4 
salice13

She is at work, so I'll respond for her. ;)

Water changes have been done on all tanks, and continue to be done regularly, but for some reason the 5g that Trooper (The one with white spots) is in will not maintain a proper pH, so he was put into a cup for treatment and into a different tank. He was treated with the Tetra Fungus Guard for almost 3 days, but she didn't see any change, so discontinued and switched to the Bettafix until we read so many concerns.

The fish that died is detailed in a previous post by me 'New Sick Betta' or something along those lines, but basically it was severe lethargy and a complete lack of appetite and these little translucent tendrils (2 of them) hanging from him, one having inflated at the end like a balloon before falling off during a water change.

This morning, the two remaining ones seem the same. The half-moon has clamped fins and is lingering in a hiding place or drifting around the corner of the tank at the surface and Trooper is swimming around without a care in the world, save for the large white spot on his chin and a smaller one on his dorsal. His appetite was not touched last night and, based on the wiggle he gave when his light came on, is still there in full force.
salice13 is offline   Reply With Quote