Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-19-2014, 02:14 AM   #1 
Jdogjk

Smile Anacharis plants? 2.5 gal filter issue

So I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow tank with 2 bettas and a divider. The main problem is that the filter gives the betta a harder time swimming. It also takes up a lot of space while blocking the light the tank came with (only the left half of the tank). So I was thinking to get rid of the filter, add anacharis plants, and do more frequent water changes. I might get a heater as well. So since I have a divider, should I get 2 anacharis plants or will that be too much? How big do they even get?
Jdogjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:12 AM   #2 
chlorp101

Since your tank is only 2.5 gallons, you can make your own filter or buy a sponge filter. Sponge filter is very cheap, but you need to buy a pump.
chlorp101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:42 AM   #3 
shatterstag

What are the specs of your lighting, and what substrate do you have? Anacharis is very hardy but no plant is going to grow well if you don't have proper lighting and substrate.

They also get very very tall. My anarcharis is over a foot tall, and in good conditions they grow incredibly fast and need constant trimming. I guess the good thing is that with one or two plants you can clip them off in a couple of places, strip the ends of the stems (3cm or so) of leaves and then replant the clippings.

A 2.5 divided tank is far too small for two bettas, and they definitely need a heater. :\
shatterstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Stag is right. And two 2.5g tanks with two sponge filters can be run with one airpump.

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...h-care-232570/
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #5 
Jdogjk

Thanks for the info. What kind of sponge filter should I get for 2.5 gal?
Old 03-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #6 
Jdogjk

Also, should I forget about the anacharis? I've read up on them and I do have the proper light/substrate.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:00 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

This is the smallest one I know of. Many here use these successfully.
Internal Sponge Filter CAF-10

The Tetra Whisper 10 is a reliable, quiet, competitively-priced airpump. You'll also need a few feet of airline (silicon is worth the extra pennies), two T-fittings and a cheap air-adjuster valve from your LFS. And a back-flow check valve if your pump will be located below the water level.

Here's something about sponge filters: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...torial-318602/

Alternatively, the Azoo Palm is a cheap reliable HOB (hang on back) filter with lots of room for media/foam that many members like.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote