Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1 
WolfHhowling
Member
 
WolfHhowling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Carrolltown Pa In good old cambria county
Question Horned Nerite?

Ok I am looking for snails! Looks like I will half to pay shipping.

I was wondering if it is ok to keep a horned Nerite with a betta, since I want to give mom a snail as a gift.

Also what snail do you recommend with this stocking list?

cherry barb, upsidedown catfish, corry catfish, gourami, platies, danio, anglefish.

Would nerites be ok in this tank? Or should I give up on the snails for it?

My gram only likes the pretty nerites, with the tiger shell and the bright colors and such.... so ya. Since for some odd reason nerite snails are cheeper when they are horned would one of those be safe?
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #2 
WolfHhowling
Member
 
WolfHhowling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Carrolltown Pa In good old cambria county
Um any one have horned Nerite?
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #3 
Xeek
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Nerites are too well armored for a betta to do any damage to. They also have a hatch they can go into and close. All of my bettas ignore the nerites in the tank. Their bodies do not usually extend beyond the edges of the shell so a betta would have no point of attack.

I have a betta I trained to eat snails, she attacks them almost like puffers do. She ignores the nerite snails though and prefers to after pond snails.

Oh and if your concerned about a nerite (of any kind) being dangerous to a fish, that would be a completely unfounded thought process They eat algae not fish. They have no poison or anything like that either.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #4 
WolfHhowling
Member
 
WolfHhowling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Carrolltown Pa In good old cambria county
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
Nerites are too well armored for a betta to do any damage to. They also have a hatch they can go into and close. All of my bettas ignore the nerites in the tank. Their bodies do not usually extend beyond the edges of the shell so a betta would have no point of attack.

I have a betta I trained to eat snails, she attacks them almost like puffers do. She ignores the nerite snails though and prefers to after pond snails.
Thanks so the horned ones would be ok to then?
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #5 
Xeek
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
yes just be careful when you handle them. The horns have been known to break skin. I don't see that as a problem for fish unless they have a habit of throwing themselves against snails hehe.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:21 PM   #6 
WolfHhowling
Member
 
WolfHhowling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Carrolltown Pa In good old cambria county
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeek View Post
yes just be careful when you handle them. The horns have been known to break skin. I don't see that as a problem for fish unless they have a habit of throwing themselves against snails hehe.
Thanks a lot! The horned ones seem to be cheaper don't ask me why lol that and neater.

Thanks for your help!
WolfHhowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #7 
Xeek
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfHhowling View Post
Thanks a lot! The horned ones seem to be cheaper don't ask me why lol that and neater.

Thanks for your help!
They're smaller than regular nerite snails, that might account for the cheaper cost. People tend to like larger snails. The smaller they are the more they are seen as pests, but breeding is a factor there. Fortunately nerites don't breed in fresh water, but people still want their snails big.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horned Nerite! Skyewillow Other Fish 10 04-25-2013 03:58 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.