Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 PM   #1 
nav2008

new to betta fish.... need help with how to keep him

I just bought a betta fish (male) at the store.... Always wanted one, was spur of the moment.... He is in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl right now with some rocks and a small plant. Our water does not have any chlorine or anything, it is well water but it has some salt in it. Is that ok? Im going to be transfering him to what would be a 3 gallon tank but it has rocks about 4 in deep so its more like 2 gallons... soon. I dont know how long I should wait to minimize stress? I couldnt put him in it today because I have not had fish in it for about 3 years but the water was never dumped out/replaced.... really gross. its just been in my basement the whole time with the same water in it. It has a filter and everything but its not been plugged in. It will take some time to clean it up. When should I move him? and what should I do to keep him happy and healthy? I have betta food thats really small pelletsi feed him 3 twice a day. Should I get another fish so hes not alone? Or would he kill any fish? He already attaked the bag I got him in (I think it was his reflection).... Any tips on caring and making him happy please let me know.
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 
stevoelsupremo

I got a betta in a 3gal and hes on our well water...hes been kickin for like 2 months now and I didnt treat the water or anything..and as for that old filter jsut get a new filter pad mabey and it should be fine
stevoelsupremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #3 
TheBettaholic

A little salt is fine. Take your time cleaning up your 3 gallon tank, so theres no icky stuff left, and your betta can live in a 1/2 gallon without negative effects. 3 gallons is probably too small to have any other fish other than the betta, though if your lfs stocks ghost or red cherry shrimp, you could try two or three of those.. be careful cause some betta eat the shrimp Feeding him just once a day would be fine. The tank should be kept around 75 to 80 degrees, and filtration should be gentle - a strong current will stress your betta. Good luck with your betta :D
TheBettaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:19 PM   #4 
nav2008

thanks for the tips. Our air currently is broken in the house... when its goin to be fixed i dont know.... Its about 90 degrees outside though... so It cant be much better in. He is also by a window. is that ok?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 AM   #5 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2008
thanks for the tips. Our air currently is broken in the house... when its goin to be fixed i dont know.... Its about 90 degrees outside though... so It cant be much better in. He is also by a window. is that ok?
I would remove him from the window and try to find somewhere in your house that stays nice and cool, perhaps your basement? Just until your ac is fixed. If you don't want to move him into the basement for now, then at least get him away from the window and out of direct sunlight. The sun will definitely heat up his bowl and promote a ton of algae growth!
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM   #6 
nav2008

I think our basement may be too cold. Its closed up all the time and cement walls/floor. probably no colder than 70 degrees maybe colder than that. I put a towel on the window to stop sunlight coming in after about 10am until about 6ish when there is no direct sunlight. would that be better? IM trying to think of a good surface were our dog cant get him Possibly on the bookshelf or on top of our tv system. I have to see how warm those rooms are getting first.... its the worst time for the air to be gone lol.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 AM   #7 
Little-Fizz

Yeah the towel should do for now, so long as you feel its providing enough shade for your betta.

Hah, I'm trying to think of good places to put a fish bowl out of reach from your canine amigo... Do you have like a dresser or bedside table in your room or something? I have no idea how big your dog is but I would say on there would be ok so long as your rooms not disgustingly hot!

Good luck! For you and your fish, I don't know how I would survive with no air :( Sad I know, but its true! The heat really gets to me.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #8 
crazy4fish

just make sure that you are doing some water changes if he is currently in a bowl/tank without a filter.
crazy4fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #9 
nav2008

HELP!

HELP AGAIN PLEASE. i dont know if this is bad or not... he is doing well and seems happy at temps ranging between 75-84 (night and day) usually around 78-81, and likes his plants and food now, but his top fin appears to be tangled, almost knotted at the end. should i leave it? or if not, how do i fix it? sorry for all the questions....
Old 07-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #10 
TheBettaholic

Pictures would help
Sometimes betta's rays 'curl' because of water quality issues and such.. crowntails are especialy prone to this.. but I wouldn't know if this is what's happening to your fishy :(
TheBettaholic is offline   Reply With Quote