Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #11 
nav2008

thanks. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow I dont think its water quality because its was completley changed 3 days ago, but I mixed our upstairs and hose water. I was not sure if the salt was ok so I mixed them, so maybe its becasue the water is different?My first betta fish I'm pretty sure he's veil tail.(different shades of blue, purple and red... not sure if that makes a difference)
nav2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #12 
nav2008

I tried to get a picture but the camera made him become very agitated and then after that he wouldn't come out from the weeds. I think the flash bothers him. this is the best I could get, and I dont think you can even see what I'm talking about (the end of the top fin)
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=HPIM0315.jpg

this one is very poor quality, forgot to change the lighting,

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=HPIM0314.jpg
Old 07-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #13 
TheBettaholic

I know basically zip about fishy health and such.. :(
If you dont already have one, I strongly suggest registering at ultimatebettas.com
The people there are awesome, and someone there will be able to help you out :)
TheBettaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #14 
Little-Fizz

Do you have a water testing kit? How long have you had this betta for again, and how many gallons is the bowl hes in?

I hate to tell you but bowls are not very nice for your little betta friend :( And his fins look like its due to being in the bowl for too long with bad water quality. Usually bettas kept in a bowls have fins like that. It makes them look even more sad.
Little-Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:48 AM   #15 
Kim

I can't really tell from the pictures, but it almost looks as if there is a chunk missing from his top fin . What do the edges of his fin look like? Are they black, white, ragged, red?? Did his fin look like this when you got him?. It is also a somewhat distant possibility that his fin just grows like that. If you could get a close up picture that is clear of his fin that would help. Good luck with that though, I know how hard it can be to get a photo of those little buggers!
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #16 
nav2008

Ielieve whatever happened started on the car ride home, he was not like that when i picked him but when i put him in his new bowl i noticed it... possibly curled his fins up when he was in the small space from the bag? His bottom fin is now curling though, I dont think its water quality, He had a complete water change 3 days ago... I found a large pictue of a fish whos top fin looks like it might have the same thing, though on this one the bottom fin is not curling. The very tips on my fish look a little lighter than the rest but I think its just the coloring...

if you click on this picture to zoom in and look at the end of its top fin, it looks like it may be tangled like my fishes fin is.

http://image57.webshots.com/757/4/29...1SQtwIb_fs.jpg

I think he is happy.... they said that happy male betta put bubbles on the edge of their bowl/tank for mating purposes? He made some bubbles and they statyed there.... He eats great and seems to be very curious, and often goes after his own reflection until he hits the edge and realizes its not a fish
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #17 
Little-Fizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav2008
I dont think its water quality, He had a complete water change 3 days ago...
*sigh* What are your water parameters?

Thats the thing, people don't realize when they put bettas in bowls, but your not supposed to change all the water. It's hard enough for bacteria to get established in a bowl, and when your constantly changing all the water and killing off all the bacteria, they you have nothing in there eating the waste your betta expels and therefore you are more then likely going to have water quality issues.

And that link doesn't work.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #18 
nav2008

currently temporarily in a 1/2 gallon fish bowl until i find out how to tell if my 3 gal tank filter is too strong.... i dont know how to tell. i have had it for several years and just planned on changing the filter pad thing...... and the water was changed completley cause thats when I got him.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #19 
Little-Fizz

Well what kind of filter is it? Can you adjust the flow rate? When you turn it on does it seem like it would blast your fish to the other side of the tank? Thats a pretty good sign its to strong.

If you can adjust the flow rate then put your betta in the tank and turn the filter on and adjust accordingly, like if its making his fins move around a lot, then thats to much. But it it doesn't seem to bother him, then you should be good.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #20 
nav2008

I eel ashamed when i see how long this post is..... Im hoping to move him by the end of the week (before he needs a water change) my filter says its a Marineland aquarium product, *pump for PFES02/PFES08 (does that mean 2-8gallon tanks?) It is *120vac and *60Hz and *.12amp I have no idea wh at any of that means..... Im in the process of cleaning the tank.... The water was not changed for 3-4years and the pump was not on. It is absolutley disguesting covered in white slimey water and has dead bugs inside. Since my fish has been introduced to tap water w/out chlorine.... but it has salt and minerals in it? should i forget about conditioning the water because the change would stress him? 3 places in a week? (shop, bowl, new aquarium) I was going through our old aquarium stuff and found thermomiters/heaters and aqua safe water conditioner.... (AquaSafe® makes tap water safe for fish by eliminating chlorine and heavy metals present in municipal water supplies. AquaSafe® also neutralizes chloramine by breaking down the bond between chlorine and ammonia while reducing both fish-toxic chlorine and ammonia components. In addition, AquaSafe® provides slime coating to help wounds heal and protect fish from abrasions.) does that sound like i shoudl use it? or stick with what he is getting used to. *Still looking for help with the tangled and curling fins) thank you everyone for all the help, (im got some good tips from the other website somone sent earlier on this post. thank you)