Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #1 
Spike34

Smile New tank advice = Fluval Flora or Fluval spec V

I am going to purchase a second Betta and wanted to ask folks which tank would be better for a Betta? The tank is going in my bedroom so I really don't want a two-stroke engine sounding filter and would like to add some plants but nothing too demanding.

I've heard that the Spec V is ideal for Bettas and I really love this tank wheras I remember the old saying of bigger is better which is the only reason why I was thinking of the Fluval flora. Basically I want a good looking tank which primarily meets the needs of the betta.

Thanks and I'm open to suggestions with there only being one exception... please nothing acrylic as I really hate acrylic tanks

Spike
Spike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #2 
VJM

Do you definitely want an "all in one" tank with a sump at the back? I really like the looks of both, but I guess I would go with the Flora. I do not have experience with either.

Mr. Aqua has a new 6.5 bookcase tank that should be offered very soon as a tank alone. Then you could pick a filter and light.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #3 
ryancalif

I think the flora is designed more for planted tanks (with less focus on fish being in the tank). You basically just grow underwater plants in it.

I'm sure you could make it work with fish in it too, but it's specifically designed for plants.

That being said, I would go for the Spec V out of those two choices.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 AM   #4 
Mr2KiEu

Both tanks are awesome. If you are going for more of a NPT than I say go for the Flora, since it comes with a CO2 kit. I remember seeing someone on this forum with a really nice Flora with a betta and RCS and snails. Also the internal filter of the Flora is horrible IMO.

The Spec V is much easier to maintain since it has rear chambers with a pump. It'll give you more horizontal space, as oppose to the Flora's vertical space. I guess it all depends on if you want a tall vs long tank.
Mr2KiEu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #5 
DefStatic

Don't get the Flora, get the Spec V, you wont regret it.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #6 
Otterfun

get the one with the highest water surface area. depth does not do anything for the betta, only matters for plants that grow upwards. i think SPEC V might be higher than Flora in surface area (footprint area)
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #7 
Crowntails

I'd get the Spec. It has more horizontal space for your betta to swim.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 
Spike34

Smile Hello again

Thanks guys for all your replies and guess what is sitting on my chest of drawers - A Fluval Spec V It looks absolutely lovely and after looking at the Flora it was quite obvious that the surface area was pants on the Flora in comparison to the Spec.

So just got to get another Betta - Once the tank's ready that is.
Spike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #9 
fish keeper 2013

Just a warning, the fluval spec v doesn't have bright enough lights to grow anything but low light plants.

Other than that congrats on your new tank!
fish keeper 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:08 PM   #10 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish keeper 2013 View Post
Just a warning, the fluval spec v doesn't have bright enough lights to grow anything but low light plants.

Other than that congrats on your new tank!
that's true, if you want fancy aquascaping with high light plants, you will need to change the lights.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote