Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2008, 07:20 AM   #1 
muffygirl

GETTING NEW TANK..HELP!

I recently got a Betta(Blueberry) from Pet Smart. he is in a 1 gallon round fish bowl. I want to upgrade to a 3 gal. tank with the works. I would like to get a kit but want to get what is best for Blueberry. Any suggestions?
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM   #2 
Kim

I don't know much about 3 gallons, but I have a 5.5 gallon for my betta. you can get tops and lights to fit them, and I use a 50 watt heater and an azoo palm filter. This works well for me. I have heard good things about the eclipse systems and I believe they make a 3 gallon. You might want to watch out though, that the filter does not create too much current for your betta to swim in comfortably. Just my thoughts. Good luck.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:16 AM   #3 
Flashygrrl

25 watt is sufficient for a 5 gallon..a few bucks cheaper and not so much heat at once.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:34 AM   #4 
willow

hello and welcome.
glad that you are going to upgrade Blueberrys home.
you will have a healthier fish.
:)
willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #5 
Flashygrrl

You could probably get a standard 5 gallon glass tank, the hood and light, heater, little filter (you could either use an Azoo filter or a Whisper 10 HOB), gravel and decor for cheaper than a kit would cost you plus you could use the brands of stuff that you prefer. Just try to avoid buying Top Fin, the glass tank itself is ok to buy but it's only a few dollars more expensive to buy better and more reliable brands. Hint: http://www.bigalsonline has everything cheaper, just don't buy the stuff that they sell under their own brand name.
Flashygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #6 
Kim

Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:16 am :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

25 watt is sufficient for a 5 gallon..a few bucks cheaper and not so much heat at once.

When I bought mine, the smallest heater that they had was a 50 watt. I'm now glad that I bought it because during the winter, even with the bigger heater, I still have to turn it way past 78 degreees just to keep the tank at that temperature. Depending on the climate and the brand of heater a 25 watt might work too. Just what I found.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #7 
muffygirl

Got my new TANK

Thank-you all for your advice. I have purchased a 10 gallon tank with a lighted top along with a 50 watt heater, a whisper10 filter, a Tetra air pump and a digital thermometer. I still need to purchase my decorations.

I was considering getting a divider so I could purchase another Betta. Is this okay? Won't they flair at each other at the divide? Are there dividers that the fish cannot see each other thru?

I will be starting my fishless cycle this weekend. :D
muffygirl is offline   Reply With Quote