Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #1 
Starfish1

Driftwood & pH

In order to slowly lower the ph in a 10 gallon tank, about how big a piece of driftwood do I need?

I'm at 7.8 and want to very gradually lower it down towards 7.2 to help my crowntails tails to stop getting melty.

I have IAL in there right now but my ph hasn't budged so far. GH & KH are both at 2.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

I'm not really a fan of messing with the pH, but if you find it's beneficial for your betta and can't be helped then have you tried considering the use of almond leaves? They're usually the most popular choice for lowering the pH- I think it's because it's easier to control as you can brew it before you add it to the tank and that way with each water change it's a specified pH and not a varied pH level each time you change your water... then again, I've never used driftwood, so I can't really say if it would be that drastic of a change in pH each water change till the tannins are released into the water and lowering it again...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 PM   #3 
ao
TFK Moderator

Gh and kh at two shouldnt affect your crowntails at all D: that' pretty soft water
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #4 
VJM

I don't think anyone can give you a definite number. There are too many variables. I would just get a piece that looks good in your tank and pop it in.

In addition to IAL and driftwood, alder cones can lower ph. Peat moss works too. Put some in a bag made out of stockings, or any fine mesh nylon, and put it in your filter. Change out the moss every few weeks to a month.

Good luck! I have a crowntail in similar pH level water, and his fins are fine. But they are all different, and the effects of water chemistry are complex.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #5 
Starfish1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
Gh and kh at two shouldnt affect your crowntails at all D: that' pretty soft water
Okay good! I thought 2 was a good number for that.. what do you think about the high ph though, could that affect their tails? I don't know what is going on with crowntail tails, and not any of my other tail types!! ahhh so frustrating lol

VJM, thanks! I'll read up on the alder cones, never heard of those before :D

I went ahead and bought two cool pieces of driftwood I saw, so we'll see how those work.. now I just need some plants :)
Old 04-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

hmm I think it's only hard water that affects finnage ... what exactly is happening with your betta's fins?
Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #7 
Starfish1

Their tails get shorter and look melty but it's not fin rot because there's no black or jagged edges. It happens very slowly over a few months. It's only crowntails .. any other tail types are fine and I'm changing their water 100% every 4 days, they all get the same water, same water change schedule, same conditioner. I had an older crowntail that this happened to and when I got two new ones the same thing happened. Someone on here mentioned ph is supposed be more like 7.2-7.0 for them. I don't wanna mess with it really but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try indian almond leaf and driftwood because it's not something that will fluctuate and be bad for the fish.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

well, since ur water isn't very hard, PH shouldn't be hard to lower...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 AM   #9 
Starfish1

Ok cool so I'll keep up with the almond leaves and see if the driftwood helps..