Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #1 
HeroicPoison

Going to the pet store

I have a very sick baby girl, so I have to go to the store to pick her up some meds. Every time I go in there I come out with at least one betta... It's so hard not to, they plead with their little puppy dog eyes to save them from that dreaded cup.
My sister thinks I'm insane for having all of these fish... But how can you just walk by them and not feel bad for them, living in those horrid conditions.
I'm thinking about starting a betta rescue (I did attempt this before but I grew attached to all the bettas I brought home) would any of my fellow Canadians be interested in adopting from me? I would of course nurse them back to health, but I'd need good homes for them to go to :)
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #2 
Snoeflayke

Duuuuude, just wait until the employees get to know you well enough to figure out that they can guilt you into buying ("saving") fish...

*facepalm*
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

Actually I was pleasantly surprised with my trip today, they have a new guy working in the fish dept. he was very knowledgable and helpful. The bettas were clean and in great shape, I did spot one with fin rot while I was talking to him and he took him right to the back for treatment :)
I talked to the manager about him and how he was doing a very good job taking care of them, I also explained my issues with the regular employee I run into. The manager took my concerns seriously and I'm hoping for continual progress in their betta care

Last edited by HeroicPoison; 04-26-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Damn autocorrect grrr
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #4 
Mar

Omg yes. I have 2 bettas I've rescued and want to give to a good home! 1 is still healing, but the other is good to go.
Canadians unite.
And you're Albertan!! If you have any halfmoons available, let me know!
Which petstore do you go to? Always petsmart for me since its closest, but my absolute favourite is Pisces. Omg I spend hours there.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 AM   #5 
HeroicPoison

Oh yes they have halfmoons and I can surely get one for you :)
Next time I go in (I'm hoping they are still in good condition, if not I'm bringing some home to save) I should be going in tomorrow to do a check up on them, I have set up my 20g so two of my males can be moved to that and I can bring home two rescues.
I do usually go to pet smart but if they are ok I'm going to try petland and homes alive :) I will for sure let you know
Old 04-27-2013, 04:20 PM   #6 
Mar

petland's bettas are definitely overpriced. I got my Betta with a missing dorsal for $30 there. I guess in the end it was worth it. He's the sweetest and gentlest betta I have ever met. Not to mention quite beautiful ;)
Old 04-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #7 
HeroicPoison

I find as long as I can save them Im not worried about cost. All of them deserve loving homes :) Usually if they are in really bad shape if you talk to management they will give you a discount.
Im hoping if I do start a betta rescue/adoption It will be successful. So many people refuse to buy the bettas due to their conditions at the store, they are just left to die :(
Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #8 
Mar

Yeah, hopefully if people see healthy happy bettas with vibrant colours, they'll be more willing to adopt!