Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #1 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

Filter that bubbles?

I would like to get some type of thing that will circulate the water. I've seen bubble things that just make the water have bubbles shooting to the top. Where can I get those? I'd like to get something like that for my betta.
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Well I've never seen a filter and a bubble wand combo but you could use bubble stones in conjunction with your filter. The only thing is that Betta's prefer a calmer surface otherwise they will get blown around a lot. But if you want one, you can find them online or in Pet stores. You'll need an air pump, some air tube lining and a stone/wand. You can even find all that at Wal-Mart.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:00 PM   #3 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Well I've never seen a filter and a bubble wand combo but you could use bubble stones in conjunction with your filter. The only thing is that Betta's prefer a calmer surface otherwise they will get blown around a lot. But if you want one, you can find them online or in Pet stores. You'll need an air pump, some air tube lining and a stone/wand. You can even find all that at Wal-Mart.
Yeah I'm very unfamiliar with filters, so that's why I'm asking. What do I need for a small filter for my 2 gallon tank? How do they work, do they need to be plugged in or something? I probably sound stupid but I am just very unfamiliar with filters. I've only ever owned bettas. Thanks @lilnaugrim
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No problem :) glad you are asking questions.

Filters and bubble stones/wands are very different. Filters, as I'm sure you know...filter the water and the waste out of the water which is why they are great for our fish. Some smaller tanks it is hard to use a filter because the out flow of the water will be too much for our Bettas.

If you have a filter you won't have to do as many water changes, ideally for an unfilter 2 gallon you should be doing two 50% water changes and one 100% water change every week. With a filter you can probably cut that to one 50% change and one 100% change as week. <----this is why having a filter is a good thing.

Bubble wands and stones are just to provide oxygen in the water and to get the water moving. Most Betta keepers don't use them because the Betta's like a nice calm surface so they aren't thrown around. Especially in a 2 gallon I would advise against getting any wands or stones. For those you would need an air pump, you'd have to get some airline tubing and hook the tube from the air pump to the stone. Then you'd plug it in and watch it bubble, but again, I don't advise it.

For a good filter, if one didn't come with your tank, I suggest a sponge filter. They don't cause much, if any, water movement which your Betta will like. Unfortunately you won't find them in any Pet Stores so you'll have to get those online. They can be a bit big and ugly looking but you can use decoration to "hide" them :)

Sponge filters work in a similar way to the bubble stones because you still need an air pump, airline tubing and then your little sponge that it hooks into. You can find these on Amazon if you type in "Sponge filter" and then look for a small one, like one rated for 5 gallons and under.

Hope this helps a bit :)
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM   #5 
Stone

You can either get a sponge filter which is powered by an air pump or tetra makes one as well it is sold at the evil empire of walmart
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oy, I worked for that evil empire of a company! lol

Yes, you can also try getting the Tetra Whisper 3i, I actually use it in three of my tanks. The current is a bit strong at first so you can use a tall fake plant to try and cut the flow back but after a while it will simmer down and be fine. My Betta's don't even care about it anymore now that it's settled down :)

It doesn't filter very well but it keeps the water moving and that's more of what I care about since I'm doing two weekly water changes anyway.