Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #1 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

Selling fish to petstore?

I heard from someone on hear that you can sell fish to a pet store? I'm not interested in doing that to my pets, but I know of someone who has a super agressive fish and is keeping it because they don't have anyone to give it to. How much would a pet store give you for a betta? I'm not interested myself, but that person on here made me curious!
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:57 PM   #2 
Tazman
TFK Moderator

They will not give you money as such, more often they will issue a store credit to be used on purchases in the store.

Some stores can give you money but the amount varies so such, it be a lot less than what the person paid though.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #3 
Xeek

Is this a male? Usually you buy them with the expectation to keep them solitary. Since they're the center piece fish - usually its the other fish you get rid of. They're very hit and miss in communities with fish of similar size.

Is it a female? The same applies, they don't get a long with everyone including their own species. They are more capable, but still shouldn't be the initial expectation. Is it a female betta in a sorority? There are techniques that I've used to lower the aggression over time, I've never had to return a fish because of aggression.
Xeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #4 
isochronism

A much better return would be to find it a good free home than just a couple of bucks.
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #5 
BlueBettaSplendensLover

She has some type of agressive fish that is not a betta. I was also curious about how much they give you for bettas just because I was curious. As I said, I'm not interested in getting rid of mine, but it is somebody that I know with a fish they don't want.
BlueBettaSplendensLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #6 
SnowSong

I don't know of any store that would give a person money for a single fish. Some privately-owned stores might buy a whole brood of babies from someone, but not a single fish. I wouldn't expect to get anything for the fish at all. MAYBE she could get a couple of dollars worth of store credit, though, if she got lucky.
SnowSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #7 
ShukiAi

I took back my pleco to a local fish store (I was naive and didn't know how big they got) and they gave me a trade for another fish. I think that's what most privately owned pet stores would do rather than give cash money. As for chain stores like Petco and Petsmart, I'm not sure what they do.
ShukiAi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I deal with my local family run pet store. He gives me store credit, which in the end is great because that way I do not have to spend money on supplies... It's basically a trade. This includes live foods, frozen foods, conditioners, decor and plants, live plants, etc. If you ar wanting to sell them just for the money... Good luck. Settle for credit, if you tend to shop there often.

Remember most chain stores get their fish dirt cheap in bulk. They more than likely will not buy.

Another thing to remember, is know what the potential buyers want; stores and individual people in your area. Will you ship? Will you drop off? Pick up only? A solid plan ensures you will not be stuck will 5-200 betta fry for months on end. Advertising is also great in our age of technology... Kijiji (canada) or craigslist (usa and canada), along with the good old methods of brochures, flyers, or word-of-mouth. Get it known what your plan is - make sure you know that you have people interested.

And research, research, research! Nothing beats hands-on experience, but having that experience backed with rsearch plus help from us... We'll make sure your hobby experience is at it's best.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107398
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
selling