Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 08:22 AM   #1 
DefStatic

One fish eating, the other not...

So, my two females are still doing great. However, something odd has started to happen.

Feeding time they both appear hungry. But one tries to eat and just spits it out. She was eating just fine.

At work I have been using NLS without issue. I am going to stop by my office and take some of the NLS and see if my two females at home will eat it. If so, I will get a smaller thing of NLS for work and take the big one home.

Thoughts?
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #2 
WaffleSire

Maybe the pellets are suddenly too big for her...?

Try splitting the pellets in half with your thumbnail or something, bettas sometimes spit out food when it's too big for their tiny mouths.

Or, maybe she's just being picky. x3
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #3 
bniebetta

A couple of things come to mind.

1. Are the females in view of each other? Maybe the one feels threatened or something.

2. Whenever my fish don't eat, it is because I just got them or the pellets are too big. I usually just cut them in half carefully with a knife. Sometimes new fish are picky eaters, and, if this is the case, you can condition them to pellets by starting with something like garlic juice or bloodworms.

3. She could be sick. Keep an eye on her and see if any other of her behaviors change. Don't jump the gun though, medicine is a last resort. Make sure she is warm enough and her water params are perfect and rule out any other cause before you treat with meds.

4. The food upsets her stomach or she doesn't like it. What kind is it? My fish will eat Omega One or NLS but don't like the crappy brand that much.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #4 
DefStatic

She was eating fine until a couple days ago. I was using some Aqueon stuff I had. At my work tank, I feed NLS. But I got one of the larger things of it, which for one Betta is going to last many many many months. So I am going to pick up a smaller thing of NLS and switch them, use the bigger one at home and the smaller wone at work.

She seems to be resting a little more than usual, but otherwise still does everything the same. Can be seen swimming around.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #5 
WaffleSire

Well, she's clearly resting because she hasn't eaten for a bit. Does her belly look swollen, at all? Maybe she's having a little trouble digesting some old food.

Just try giving her the NLF, see if she likes it. Sometimes they simply get sick of the same kind of food, just like us! :3
WaffleSire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #6 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleSire View Post
Well, she's clearly resting because she hasn't eaten for a bit. Does her belly look swollen, at all? Maybe she's having a little trouble digesting some old food.

Just try giving her the NLF, see if she likes it. Sometimes they simply get sick of the same kind of food, just like us! :3
Nope, no signs of any stress. I will see what happens with the New Life stuff.

I will report back tomorrow, thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #7 
DefStatic

So I brought some NLF home from my work tank. Put a few in and both fish ate it right up, no issues. Go to feed them today, the same one won't eat again. Thoughts?
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #8 
bannlow2471

I'm having the same issue right now with one of my new girls, Clementine. The other new girl, Bettina, is eating like a pig but not Clemmie. I am just continuing to offer different kinds of food and watching her. She's not refusing all food but is definitely not eating like I wish she would. I know it's nerve-wracking.

Last edited by bannlow2471; 04-29-2013 at 08:41 PM.
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #9 
DefStatic

Guess I will stop by the pet store and see if there is something else I can try. Maybe Omega One. Maybe not pellets at all LOL.

Weird thing was she ate the NLS immediately the first time I put some in. So I figured she just did not like the Aqueon stuff, or didn't like the consistancy and size of the other stuff. Then the next day she is refusing the NLS.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:41 AM   #10 
DefStatic

Could she just be extremely constipated? What can I do? She hasn't eaten since Saturday or Sunday. And even then it was only two pellets.

I see now signs of injury or sickness. But she either stays up top in a low flow spot or hides under the shelf edge of a rock.

She stopped eating the Aqueon stuff Thursday or Friday. So I brought home some NLS. She ate a couple pieces. And I was like ok, she just didn't like the food. But then the next day she refused those too.

The other fish is acting just as normal.

Thoughts?