Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #21 
sunlight

Then she still need to separate them anyway. It obviously something wrong and you don't want to get it worse:) I agree with you Sena and still keep eye on her.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #22 
bannlow2471

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Then she still need to separate them anyway. It obviously something wrong and you don't want to get it worse:) I agree with you Sena and still keep eye on her.
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all - I was just sort of talking out loud - i.e. that I did not realize that the two were together in the same tank, which from everything I have read is not advisable under any circumstances, so yes, I think absolutely they need to be separated, and since stress is known to be a gateway to illness, I think a hospital tank is a great idea. Sorry for any confusion!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #23 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
Oh - I did not realize that the two were in the same tank .... and I thought you had to have at least four to six females minimum for a sorority. So maybe she just doesn't feel relaxed enough to eat? Can you divide the tank?
No chance of dividing the tank. I was told after I got them that this was not a good idea, but that if they are not showing any signs of stress or bullying, that maybe it would be ok. I have watched and watched and watched and not seen any signs of bullying, in fact quite the contrary, if they are not on opposite sides of the tank doing their own thing, they can be seen just hanging out together.

I am bringing my temp tank home and will see what happens. If she does better instantly, I will have to go out and get them each their own 5 gallon tanks and will just use the 30 gal as a standard community tank.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #24 
DefStatic

This is the tank by the way, the video was taken Saturday, and everything was fine.

http://youtu.be/P5kIfgiWJ4k

The only thing different about the tank is the added brighter light.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #25 
bannlow2471

Hmm ... well, again - I'm very new to this, having only had Bettas for about seven months now, but everything I've read says that two females together is not a good idea. Now in a 30 gallon, though, maybe that's not the case? I do think perhaps briefly separating them when they eat might not be a bad idea? I'm sorry - I don't really know how to help you, and as I'm going through something similar right now with one of my new girls (they are not housed together, though) I know it's stressful. Beautiful tank, BTW, but do you think maybe they could use some additional plant cover?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #26 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bannlow2471 View Post
Hmm ... well, again - I'm very new to this, having only had Bettas for about seven months now, but everything I've read says that two females together is not a good idea. Now in a 30 gallon, though, maybe that's not the case? I do think perhaps briefly separating them when they eat might not be a bad idea? I'm sorry - I don't really know how to help you, and as I'm going through something similar right now with one of my new girls (they are not housed together, though) I know it's stressful. Beautiful tank, BTW, but do you think maybe they could use some additional plant cover?
Thanks! I am waiting for what is there to start growing more. I did also ad a fairly large flat rock in the middle that is now covered in Peacock Moss as well. The tall stuff in the back, Bacopa Carolinania, will grow tall and then I can cut them in half and plant more. I am looking at also ordering some more plants to fill in things as things grow and take shape.

I am going to take her out and see what happens, she is the darker blue one having an issue.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #27 
bannlow2471

I hope she does ok - please keep us posted!
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #28 
DefStatic

Well, I got home and she was still alive, so that is good. She was up at the top of the tank instead of the bottom. Still wouldn't eat. So I put her in my 6 cup temp tank I use for trsnportstion or cleaning for my male betta at work. She still isn't eating though. And certainly not swimming around as much as she used to.

But she still doesn't show any visable signs of anything.

I would hate to have to get some sort of 5 to 10 gallon tank and decide it, but I will if I have to. Where does one order a divider anyways? I already have a light, I can get some gravel and a filter.

Can't decide if I would do another planted tank or get some typical decorations though.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #29 
bannlow2471

There are divider kits you can get ..the one I got is from a company called Lee and I ordered it online. It comes with four of these plastic pieces, a piece of plastic mesh and these two metal prongs that go over either side of the tank on the outside. When I got the kit I was unsure of the mesh as it did not seem that sturdy so what I did was take it to Lowe's and get them to cut me a piece of thin plexiglass the same size as the mesh piece. By doing this I was able to forgo the two metal clips on the outside which would have prevented the tank lid from fitting properly. I am very happy with the way it came out and altogether including the kit and the Plexiglas it was less than $15 for a 10 gallon divider.

Last edited by bannlow2471; 05-01-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
I was told after I got them that this was not a good idea, but that if they are not showing any signs of stress or bullying, that maybe it would be ok
Wait... who told you it would be okay? And why was it not a good idea after getting them to divide the tank?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote