Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 
nehemiahludden

i added

a rainbow shark 2 ghost shrimp to my tank of 1 betta 1 zebra fish 1 placo. so far the betta has left the additions alone and has not bothered the ghost shrimp which i bought for him to hunt and eat. but they seem to be to big for his liking. what do i do now?
nehemiahludden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What size tank?
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #3 
nehemiahludden

i also got the frozon blood worms as well. the betta, shark and the zebra fish went to town on them.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4 
nehemiahludden

10 gallon tank. i wont be adding any more fish to it because i dont want to over crowd it.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

what kind of pleco is it? Is it common or bristlenose/bushynose?

Also, do you know how big Rainbow sharks can get?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

How big is your tank? I can see problems with your current stocking now that I think need addressing.

If your pleco is a common pleco (they and bristlenose seem to be the most regularly sold plecos) it is going to grow to over a foot long and even at smaller sizes it produces an extraordinary amount of waste. A fully grown adult with need an extremely large tank.

Zebra fish (assuming zebra danio) are schooling fish. You should have at least six individuals. They are also extremely active fish and so are usually recommended for tanks 20 gallons and up.

Rainbow sharks get quite large and can become aggressive/territorial as they grow. Seriouslyfish is saying a tank with base dimensions of 120 x 45cm as minimum for keeping this species.

If he won't eat the shrimp, you are going to need to provide it with a pelleted food. I probably wouldn't want to encourage hunting behaviour in case it starts harassing the other fish in your tank.

Edit: Okay I was posting while you were replying. 10 gallons way too small for the stock you have.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your tank is already badly overstocked. Rainbow sharks need a 50 gallon tank minimum and can grow to be 6 inches long. Zebra danios need a school to be happy. Common plecos grow massive and require at least a 50 gallon tank...
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #8 
nehemiahludden

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
How big is your tank? I can see problems with your current stocking now that I think need addressing.

If your pleco is a common pleco (they and bristlenose seem to be the most regularly sold plecos) it is going to grow to over a foot long and even at smaller sizes it produces an extraordinary amount of waste. A fully grown adult with need an extremely large tank.

Zebra fish (assuming zebra danio) are schooling fish. You should have at least six individuals. They are also extremely active fish and so are usually recommended for tanks 20 gallons and up.

Rainbow sharks get quite large and can become aggressive/territorial as they grow. Seriouslyfish is saying a tank with base dimensions of 120 x 45cm as minimum for keeping this species.

If he won't eat the shrimp, you are going to need to provide it with a pelleted food. I probably wouldn't want to encourage hunting behaviour in case it starts harassing the other fish in your tank.

Edit: Okay I was posting while you were replying. 10 gallons way too small for the stock you have.
the pleco had a leapord print scales and is also very dark, it has a very wide mouth.

the zebra fish is still under an inch long and i am waiting for them all to get bigger before i move them to my 55 gallon tank.

the rainbow shark is also underan inch long and likes to hang out with the betta. the shark and betta swim next to eachother since i put the shark in the tank, they do not seem to bother eachother at all.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol guys, I was trying to ease into that XD but now we've let the cat out the bag already.

I would suggest, if you can, I know it's not fun but if you could bring all except the Betta back the store, it would be very helpful. If not, someone is going to die, I'm sorry to be a bit blunt with that, but those guys can get very big and sometimes aggressive if they don't have enough room to swim.

It's kind of like being put into a 4 foot by 4 foot room with 3 other people you really really don't like. It's not fun, huh?

Anywho, you can keep the ghost shrimp actually but just be careful because your little betta might think it's a tasty snack! haha
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #10 
nehemiahludden

this is the first time i have gotten the ghost shrimp for my Mr. Whiskers (the betta)