Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #1 
Raincloud

Questions for a Sorority

I have been in the planning process of starting a sorority and been doing lots of research. Right now I have 2 females in separate quarantine tanks and a 10 gallon tank. I will not be introducing the fish to the tank till the beginning of June. My plan is to have 5 or 6 females total. I am a little confused by varying advice. In tanks I have had before (salt water) I would only introduce 1 or maybe 2 fish at a time, and even with sororities I have read that some people will release them 3 at a time while others release them all at once. Is it a matter of having the tank properly cycled? (I have my ammonia ready to do a fishless cycle)

In the future I plan on posting other questions here too as they come up
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:50 AM   #2 
bniebetta

*subscribed* I'm glad you are taking your time. I am taking tons of time and it is still crazy busy and a lot of work! I am actually curious about the same thing as far as releasing goes.... the day the girls go in the tank is Monday, and I'm a little lost as to how it will go down... Also, I think it's awesome you are doing a fishless cycle, that's what I have been doing and it is so worth it. It has given me time to make sure the tank is how I want it, get rid of any unwanted snails, and get to know the girls.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #3 
Raincloud

It is taking much more time and money than I originally thought but I think it will be worth it :) I am excited for you, please let me know how it goes on Monday. have to admit I am a little anxious about that part.

Today I put my two females tanks next to each other...One was flaring and excited and the other was very stressed and upset :( I hope this will not be a problem in the future. (I ended up putting the tanks in different rooms for now) But then again, I guess that I why you have to have more than 4.

Funny enough, since she seemed so excited to see another fish I put my more aggressive female tank next to my male's. Then he was excited and she was stressed...SO now no one can see anyone for the moment ;P
Old 04-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #4 
bniebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
It is taking much more time and money than I originally thought but I think it will be worth it :) I am excited for you, please let me know how it goes on Monday. have to admit I am a little anxious about that part.

Today I put my two females tanks next to each other...One was flaring and excited and the other was very stressed and upset :( I hope this will not be a problem in the future. (I ended up putting the tanks in different rooms for now) But then again, I guess that I why you have to have more than 4.

Funny enough, since she seemed so excited to see another fish I put my more aggressive female tank next to my male's. Then he was excited and she was stressed...SO now no one can see anyone for the moment ;P
One of my females was SO fearful-aggressive. I have to give her her own special environments and she ended up dying but she was sooo crazy. I think it just wasn't meant to be with her and the sorority. It was a shame but everyone will be better off.... And I totally understand the time and money thing, it was taken WAAY more of both than I expected haha.
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #5 
Stone

I do not even want to think about the time/money factor of my sorority tank or my freshwater community tank, lets just say we will be eating a lot of mac and cheese and ramen noodles for awhile.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #6 
Stone

Oh let me answer the question, now this is how I do it it has worked for me so far, I release all the girls at once. well lets say one after the other, but I will usually float them in their cups in the tank for a day or 2 so they can all see each other, if I know who the top girl is I will put her in the middle of everyone and let her go last if not just one at a time and the watching game begins, I have a sorority of 15 girls in a 29 gallon tank that is planted with plenty of hiding spots and a rainbow shark that will chase them around, the idea is the aggression gets spread out one girl can't stay locked onto one girl for long without someone else getting in the line of sight, I have not lost any in my current sorority but when I had a smaller one I lost 2, live and learn, when I add girls to the tank I will float them in their cup for their 9 day qt time so by the time they are released everyone has seen her and she has seen everyone so it is no big deal

Last edited by Stone; 04-27-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #7 
Raincloud

Thanks so much for the clarification Stone. I figured it was better to let them out at once but wasn't positive. :) I am so impatient, I can't wait till June to put them together. By the way, do you use terra cotta pots? Sorry it is kind of random but I wanted to get a few for the sorority tank but was wondering if anyone had suggestions for opening up the bottom? I heard its not good to only leave the little hole, and I would feel better with hiding places that had two ways out. Should I just break open the bottom? Should I put something on the edges or can I just sand them down? Or are females small enough to squeeze through?
Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM   #8 
osromatra

I released mine (after QTing them of course) in 5-10 minute-spaced increments, releasing the weaker/more skiddish/docile of them first. The healthiest, most aggro ones went last. Mine had very little fighting and they get along very well now. It's rare I even see a torn fin at all, and usually it looks like it may have come from decor perhaps, maybe their driftwood? It doesn't look like nips. I never see them flare anymore, no more chasing, they don't have feeding-time aggro. Mine has been set up since mid March. I'd say we had maybe 2 weeks of mild "pecking order" squabbles, mostly flaring and chasing, occasionally a nipped fin.

ETA2_ I floated mine for 1 hour before starting the release process.

ETA- As far as hides, I know it's more expensive, but I bought hollow drifwood pieces off Etsy and it's been great! Also, I positioned my plants to make obstacle-course type layouts and looped my amazon sword runners in such a way as to create little bridges and tunnels.

Last edited by osromatra; 04-28-2013 at 03:01 PM.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #9 
Raincloud

Thanks for replying osromatra! I am going to check out Etsy.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #10 
Raincloud

So this might be a strange question, but I wanted to get all different colored female bettas for my sorority tank, will a more brightly colored one or smaller one be picked on more? Or is it more of a personality thing?

Tags
cycle, female betta, questions, sorority