Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2013, 05:51 PM   #11 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The smaller one technically has a greater chance of being picked on more but it is mainly a personality thing.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #12 
Raincloud

Thanks Mattsbettas, I figured size might matter. With the two females I have now one is smaller and the other is pretty big but my plan was to get others with varying sizes so one wouldn't be the only small one or the only giant. :) Though my little black ct female is growing.
Raincloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #13 
osromatra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raincloud View Post
So this might be a strange question, but I wanted to get all different colored female bettas for my sorority tank, will a more brightly colored one or smaller one be picked on more? Or is it more of a personality thing?
I have 3 cambodians (one blue, one red, and one purple/pink), 3 blues (a royal blue, a steel blue, and a teal), and one red. The cambodians are all top dog, and least aggressive. The blues are all bottom dogs and most aggressive. The red is midway. She is more similar in personality to the blues than the cambodians. They get along great regardless, still very little aggression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The smaller one technically has a greater chance of being picked on more but it is mainly a personality thing.
I agree. For me, the personalities more curious of the outside-the-tank environment are the least aggressive, yet also most dominant. The ones who are more focused on stuff inside the tank are most aggressive, yet also least dominant. My theory is they are so focused on the immediacy of their surroundings, it makes them more fretful and thus more aggressive. The more observant ones IMO have observed enough to notice that the weird creature outside the tank that creates light tends to feed them regularly, and aren't as worried and therefore, less aggressive. I think human terms, they probably have higher IQ than the others, which is why I feel like they've ended up in the dominant tier, they are more clever/adaptable. I amy be giving them too much credit, but it's just been my experience, brief and limited as it is.

ETA- I did get mine all reasonably similar sizes, I'm sure that matters too. My smallest is also the very least dominant, and she acts like she has the most to prove, hence her aggressive. The others leave her alone, until she picks a fight, and she can never cash the check her mouth decides to write.

Last edited by osromatra; 05-02-2013 at 06:44 PM.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #14 
bniebetta

Quote:
Thanks Mattsbettas, I figured size might matter. With the two females I have now one is smaller and the other is pretty big but my plan was to get others with varying sizes so one wouldn't be the only small one or the only giant. :) Though my little black ct female is growing.

I have a huge size variety in my sorority tank, and you'd be surprised at how it all really plays out. It is true that a smaller fish is more likely to get picked on, but a lot of this really just depends on your set up. If you have a bunch of large fish and only a few/one small one, you may have problems. My fish range from 3/4-1 inch to just over 3 inches. i was fearful that my giant might kill the smaller fish but most of my problems actually came from my average girls who are about the same size. I actually made a detailed release schedule and put them early on it because they seemed the most docile next to the baby. Long story short, they beat the crap out of each other, and all the other fish have been fine. :p
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #15 
Raincloud

I meant to ask how it went on Monday Bniebetta! I have to admit, so far I am really enjoying the time I have had to get to know the two that I have. I am thinking of getting another one this week (well, if I can find one I really like) so I can really get a feel for their personalities before putting them together later.

Right now I just have a small black CT and a big Cambodian (with a red tail) CT, originally I wanted some DT and HM but I haven't really seen any females like that T-T

After going on Aqadvisor I am thinking of getting 7 total, too. (according to that site 7 would put my tank at 93% stocked) and I figured the more the merrier...well or at least less beat up.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #16 
Raincloud

Oh, on another random note ;P I decided to name all my girls off of Downton Abbey characters XD

So far the small black CT is Sybil and the Cambodian is Edith
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #17 
bniebetta

ahahaha that's awesome!! At some point I want to do a themed tank like that!! It went well, except for the Tinkerbell and Rue showdown. Many chunks of fin later, everyone seems to be pretty pleased with the arrangements. I really felt the same way, it took me forever to get all the girls I wanted and I spent a lot of time getting to know them and build the tank on their individual needs. I am trying to get some pics/videos up but I am having some technical difficulties so hopefully I can work out the kinks soon :p Just be prepared for the violence that will probably occur... my release was nothing short of terrifying but so worth it and everyone is great :DD I cant wait to see. Btw, my black girl is a crowntail too ;p
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #18 
percyfyshshelley

Quote:
Oh, on another random note ;P I decided to name all my girls off of Downton Abbey characters XD

So far the small black CT is Sybil and the Cambodian is Edith
Lol. I have a male plakat named Lord Grantham.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #19 
Raincloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by percyfyshshelley View Post
Lol. I have a male plakat named Lord Grantham.
That is such a great name :) I think those kinds of names have character. I got a Blue VT and a Turquoise CT(both female) Who I haven't named yet.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #20 
Stone

the pots are fine as is I did nothing with the holes and I have had no problems, but so far only one of the girls has claimed one as hers, all the fighting has been over for a good while, the top girl which just happens to be the girl that I have had the longest fins were a mess for a good while but are growing back nicely, she looks like she has been through WW3 and 4. Now they all seem to get along there will always be the flaring and chasing now and then, I enjoy watching the girls very much and they are so cute at feeding time they all huddle up, all 15 in about as little space as they can fit in, some of the girls kind of do their own thing others seem to be more social, size seems not to matter in my tank the smaller girls are pretty much ignored only a few of them have names I did not want to name them in case of some getting killed in the process and they all had the nerve to survive, ponders what to name 12 betta girls........

Last edited by Stone; 05-08-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, female betta, questions, sorority