Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 02:35 PM   #1 
ashlovesbettas

What happens after that

My male makes the bubble nest then nothing happens after my male just keeps flaring.How can you tell when a females pregant?
ashlovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

They cannot get pregnant. They are egg layers...

Right now I suggest not having them together. Place them into their own tanks with their own heaters... Heat the tanks to 78-80 degrees and start on your 2-4 week conditioning. Conditioning allows both to be willing and ready. Exercising can be done with a mirror which is mentally and physically good for them.This should be done daily for a few minutes (5-15). Feeding them a good variety of food, at least 3 times a day encourages their instincts (enough food for fry mentality). Isolate them from each other's views, smells, etc.

Clean, warm water is also a must. Sick fish won't (or should not) breed. Also make sure you have a grow out tank (30+ gallons minimal), the spawn tank, and two tanks for the male and the female to remain separated.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=107398
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #3 
ashlovesbettas

thanks for the tips and info.
ashlovesbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

No problem - and welcome to the forum :) If you are unsure about something just ask! We want to make sure your hobby experience is positive.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #5 
joyc

I think my female betta fish might have her eggs. should i out in the tank with the male fish now or wait. my male fish is also a little lazy? what do i do
joyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Did you actually condition the pair at all? They should have both been conditioned for around a week or so prior to being introduced. This is very important as spawning is quite tough on fish and the subsequent care of the eggs and fry requires a lot of energy on the male's behalf.

What is your spawning set-up like, and how have you worked on introducing the pair so far?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #7 
joyc

i'm not sure what you mean..i brought these fish around August of last year and the female looks pregnant. she has a very big stomach.
joyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

If you don't have any idea what conditioning is, then please don't try and spawn your fish. Breeding bettas is actually a very time consuming and difficult process, and can result in injury or death if the owner does not know what they are doing.

Female bettas do not get pregnant. There is no need to breed your bettas and I would highly recommend you read every single sticky on this forum about breeding bettas before you consider even introducing your pair.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #9 
Alcemistnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
If you don't have any idea what conditioning is, then please don't try and spawn your fish. Breeding bettas is actually a very time consuming and difficult process, and can result in injury or death if the owner does not know what they are doing.

Female bettas do not get pregnant. There is no need to breed your bettas and I would highly recommend you read every single sticky on this forum about breeding bettas before you consider even introducing your pair.

+1

Not only do you need to know how to properly condition your pair, but you also need to understand the costs that are associated with raising the fry. If you don't even know that bettas don't get pregnant, then that means I'm also certaintly that you don't know how to raise the fry.

So I'd deinitely go through EVERY sticky on here and make a master list of EVERYTHING you need.
Expect to spend a few hundred $$ as well as sacrificing a room for the fish (It's the easiest method from what I know)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

There are tons of stickies on here that is beneficial!!