Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #11 
Nicci Lu

I had the jumpiness problem with my VT, too. When I put my arm in the tank, he likes to bite the freckles on my arm. Of course, it doesn't hurt that much, but the surprise of it always made me jump and freaked out Adorable Fish.

What I did was just try to keep an eye on his location, because I found that if I was expecting it I could control my startled reaction. Now, when I stick my hand in there, I tell myself that I could be bitten at any moment to try and psyche myself up for it. It seems to help.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #12 
LittleBlueFishlets

Ayala,
1) Set up a video camera facing the tank.
2) Stick your hand in.
3) Scream like crazy.
4) Post the video here, so we can watch.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #13 
quietlythundering

It'll be alright. I was trying to fish my blind guy out with his cup a few day ago (to clean tanks) and when he reached the mouth of the cup, he nipped my fingertip! I was more shocked than hurt, but then the audacious little boy swam right into the cup! I laughed so hard about it afterwards. It was like he had to have the last word! XD
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar

Good news... I did it! Lol. I put my hand in, closed my eyes tight and looked away... Nothing... Finally looked back and all my girls were ignoring me. So had to try it again, finally felt a nip.. And it didn't feel like anything.

Then I put my fingers in a hoop shape and they all swam through it and over it and around it and under it. I honestly felt their bodies brush up against my hand more than I felt any nips. Mercy even swam into my palm. Then they all started to ignore me again after awhile, lol.

Which makes me wonder... Is it possible to put your hand in the tank for too long or too often?

Anyways, I cleaned up some algae, rearranged a bit and put in a mask decoration and wrapped it in java moss. I also used the java moss to attach my java fern to the side of the decoration.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #15 
mermaid77

Well, I'm glad you got over your fear :) I was gonna suggest you get yourself some aquarium gloves! LOL I actually use them too now, not out of fear, but I immensely dislike the feel of slimyness while cleaning the tank lol Other than that I do let my fishie nibble my finger during feeding time! ;)
mermaid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Good for you!
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #17 
isochronism

You even got them swimming through hoops!!
You are the Betta Whisperer :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by isochronism View Post
You even got them swimming through hoops!!
You are the Betta Whisperer :)
Lol I think they were just curious :p

Maybe my problem was that I thought I'd feel the nips more than I would. I can't actually see myself being that jumpy because a mosquito bite hurts worse! Their nips just kind of tickle.

Thank you for all your help :) after I let them swim around and through my fingers and hand I had absolutely no issues getting in there and changing things up! And I think my girls had enough time to get used to the presence of my hand, too. I probably had my hand in there for like 15 minutes, lol :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #19 
Otterfun

This is an encouraging thread to read. I am jumpy and my bettas scared me when they jump out of the water to catch the pellet. I probably have to overcome my fear, too. Thanks for sharing.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote