Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 05:10 PM   #1 
brittany4444

Question Fin rot for Pinku

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon (temporary until I put him in his new 2.5)
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? wardley pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, Mysis, and daphnia.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
2 times a day, 3-4 pieces of food a day
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? almost everyday since I brought him home (about 2 weeks ago)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? At least 30% and 1 100% a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Conditioner (just switched to prime) and stress coat. Also just stopped a 10 aquarium salt treatment

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fin rot
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he is as happy as can be
When did you start noticing the symptoms? the second day I had him home, so about 13 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I started aquarium salts and stress coat and just recently stopped the salts
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just got him
How old is your fish (approximately)? don't know

So I just got my first betta and his name is Pinku! I really knew nothing about bettas but he looked a little sick when I brought him home. I put him in a silly .5 plastic drum as recommended by the pet store but I decided to learn more about beta's when little Pinku stole my heart and became my new friend ( I had no idea fish could have such personalities!).
Well I soon found this site and realized that his living conditions were terrible so I went out and purchased a bigger tank and a heater as fast as I could. After reading more I realized that he has fin rot and it has only been getting worse. I treated him with aquarium salts and stress coat (no luck) and I have been super diligent with his water changes. Should I resort to medication at this point? I really don't want to but I don't want my new friend to die on me either.
I also just found out that my tap water has ammonia in it (EEERG! ) So I just bought Prime, will that work?
I appreciate any comments or suggestions, I am very new to this whole fish owning thing.
brittany4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, Prime will help neutralize the ammonia temporarily. It does this for about 48 hrs. So you'll still need to do frequent water changes, and/or readd some Prime.

I wouldn't use medication unless the rot gets worse. Since there's some ammonia in your water, it may just delay the healing process.

When you set up the new 2.5 gal, you'll need to keep doing frequent water changes, or you can think about adding live plants. Live plants will utilize the ammonia.

If you want to have an easy-to-grow plant, and don't want to have a planted tank, give thought to something like pothos. You can put the stem in the water (leaving the leaves above the water). It grows roots, and utilizes ammonia.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #3 
brittany4444

Thanks! I am glad that the prime will help with the ammonia and I will be sure to keep up on the frequent water changes. Pothos sounds like a great plant for my new tank. Can you get it at petsmart or petco? I just got a morimo moss ball and I have been thinking about getting plants.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Live plants will really help with the ammonia levels. If you want aquatic plants, you can get them at Petsmart/Petco.

Pothos isn't a fully submersible plant. It's just the roots that are in the water, but the leaves remain above it. You can get it at places like Home Depot or Lowes.

Here is a picture of pothos, followed by a picture of it in someone's tank. (Not my tank. I found the pic online.) Notice how the roots/stems are underwater, but the leaves are above the water.

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 04-27-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #5 
brittany4444

That looks really cool! I went to lowes today and did not see any but I am going to keep an eye out for it.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

Lowes, Home Depot and Walmart usually have pothos in their houseplant section. (It's an indoor plant, not an outdoor one.) It's one of the easiest plants to grow.

Tags
ammonia level, fin rot