Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #1 
VJM

Help me pick my new tank!

I have been stuck at the office all day (don't become a lawyer, kids!), so I am entertaining myself on breaks by comparing tanks. I currently want to replace both tanks I have that are under 5 gallons. They will become grow out and show tanks with shrimp, at home.

So, here are the candidates:

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Nano-Sh...ords=fluvalebi

Fluval Ebi

http://www.amazon.com/EHEIM-Aquastyl...pr_product_top

Eheim Aquastyle 6 gallon

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aq...eywords=Spec+V

Fluval Spec V

My most important requirement (aside from the bettas liking it) is that I be able to support plant growth with the stock light, or a reasonably priced upgrade.

If I get into one of those situations where I have to change or modify both the filter and light, then I may as well just get a pair of Mr. Aqua 6.5g bookshelf tanks (available soon on Marine Depot, I hear), and put together the package I want.

What do you think, O Wise and Thoughtful Betta Forum?
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #2 
registereduser

Since I prefer longer tanks over higher tanks, I'd go with the third one but the reviews state the lighting is not what you require. So I'd wait to buy the Mr. Aqua that you mentioned, those things are gorgeous and you can get what you want/need as far as lighting.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #3 
ryancalif

I tend to prefer tall tanks, so I'd probably go with the Ebi or Aquastyle... I'm leaning slightly more towards the Ebi since it has the top.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #4 
VJM

Always an important consideration. I did not look to see if Eheim offers a top.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 
ryancalif

...deleted...
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #6 
Mar

I'd highly recommend the Fluval Spec V
Bettas prefer horizontal movement over veritcal movement since it is easier to go up for air.
You can plant low light plants in this tank, it's beautiful and useful.

The only problems that may occur is that the current from the filter is too strong, but that's an easy fix and if you need help with that please feel free to contact me and I'll direct you to some threads that have managed to solve this problem.

I own a Fluval Spec V and love it!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #7 
percyfyshshelley

Wow those are all great tanks. I have the spec V and the ebi. I love both of them. The spec's light grows any plant I put in there. The filter is easily baffled. My betta loves it. I have three shrimp in there as well. This is my favorite tank, and I have lots! (I am a tank junkie, I like to try out all different kinds.)

I also love the ebi but I HATE the filter. I cannot stop the constant annoying rattling sound it makes. I've tried everything, believe me. I wouldve expected more from Fluval. I have the fluval U3 and it is SILENT. Not so the nano filter that comes with the ebi. I went online and seems that many others have this are issue. so just a heads up on that. I'm planning to replace the filter, and everything else about the tank I love.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 AM   #8 
abwise455

fluval has the best filtration and looks the best. IMO
abwise455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:56 AM   #9 
VJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJM View Post
Always an important consideration. I did not look to see if Eheim offers a top.
Looks like the Eheim Aquastyle does come with a top.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #10 
Atena

I like the third best, Bettas need space not depth so it looks like the best choice for the fish. Plus it is very sleek and pretty.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote