Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #1 
FishyFishs

Keep Multiple;

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but I have had a Betta for a few months now. I really enjoy him and my daughter does as well. I'm very please with his health and he seems to be a rather happy fish; unlike when we first bought him from the pet store. :)

So I'm really interested in getting another. Obviously they cannot share the same tank. I was considering just buying another bowl, but I don't really have a spot to place another a bowl for my fish. My second option was to buy a larger tank and get dividers. I've read on the sticky that dividing a tank is safe but I was curious to know that best way to go about it. I currently don't have my betta on any filtration, but if I had a larger tank would it make sense to just go out and buy a system anyways? I was thinking of adding two dividers and keeping three fish. I thought about four, but I'm not sure how big a tank; I do want them to have enough room.

I was also thinking that if I were to have the bigger tank I'd buy some natural plants as well. Is this a good idea? Or bad? And I've heard that it's okay to add certain kinds of fish to a Betta tank to help with cleaning.

Sorry I have a lot of questions!! Thanks in advanced for answering, and if you have anything extra to add, advice or what not, it's welcome!!
FishyFishs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #2 
isochronism

If you don't mind searching the different threads all the information is available in spades. :)
isochronism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Hi! I must ask, is his bowl at least heated?

Otherwise, I'm very happy he's much healthier than when you first got him! Looks like he's enjoying a nice life. But a bigger tank is always better! It's easier to maintain and in some ways, to clean. If you had a 10 gallon tank you could split it in half so they each had 5 gallons, or you could split it into 3 to give each about 3.8 gallons which is the most I would split a 10 gallon.

If you wanted four fish I would consider a 20 gallon long, but you said you were pressed for space? Anyway, live plants in the tank is almost always a good thing! You can get low light plants like Anubias, Hornwort and java ferns which will all do very well. You'll have to pick off dead leaves every now and then but it's not so bad.

Plants don't necessarily keep the tank clean, but it does help filter water a little. The main thing is that they use Nitrates for food. I assume you don't know much about a cycle yet? When persueing a larger tank, it would be best to do a Fishless Cycle to get it ready for your Bettas. I suggest you google it and look at some pictures :) It might take a little while to understand but it's very beneficial to your fish and helps so you don't have to change their water every other day to keep the ammonia down.

So you can get kits for 10 gallons that come with a filter and a hood and stuff. But honestly I never like the hoods or the filters that come with kits so it might be beneficial for you if you just bought one of the 13-14 dollar 10 gallon tanks at Wal-Mart, they also have a LED light hood that is only about 20 bucks. And then you'll just need a good heater (I suggest one with a dial on the top so you can change the temperature when you want since most heaters will stay around 78 degrees, but for some of my Bettas they really like 80 degrees and hate anything under it lol, picky fish) and then you can get a Hang on the back filter (HOB filter) so that you can baffle the outflow of the water with this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 I actually just cut the bottle section in half and only use half to go over the flow instead of the whole thing like you see in the link and then just duct tape it to the lid.

Buuut anywho, I think that's all I can think of for now lol If you've got any questions feel free to ask them ^^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #4 
FishyFishs

Okay, sounds good. And yes, he does has heater. But my house is pretty warm and his bowl is usually about 80 anyways. But it's there just in case :) I'll definitely check through the threads so more and do so research before really pursing this. Thanks!
Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #5 
crowntaillove3

Just to help, if you want to keep four males you need at least a 10 gallon tank. How many gallons is your current fish in right now? The recommended minimum is 2.5 gallons. Good luck with getting another one! Two months ago I was only supposed to be able to get one tank with one betta. Now I have four tanks and 13 fish! They are really addictive! =)
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

A bowl is fine for one betta, as long as it is cleaned every other day and is heated... To ward off infections, diseases and parasites.

As for the idea of dividing a tank... Be warned you need to quarantine all new fish for 2 weeks, to avoid diseases to transfer from a seemingly "healthy" new betta to everyone else.

A divided tank works, if they each have enough space to hide. Long tanks are better, because it allows more space per betta.

All else fails, since you said space is tight... Aim for a 5 gallon, or 10 gallon to divide. Stands are easy to find... Even a simple side table may fit! Divide the tank, add the fish you have now, use the bowl for quarantine for another betta.... Then you have two bettas, one tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Lol yes +1 to crowtaillove3 haha. I've got 15 Betta's in 5 planted tanks along with various other tropical fish, they are addicting!

I guess I was more speaking on my behalf and opinion, I hate spliting a 10 gallon more than for 3 Bettas because I feel like it's just so small and it would almost be easier to have smaller tanks. But yes, you could do this if you really wanted to.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #8 
FishyFishs

Hmm well it seems to be quite expensive to do the tank splitting. Right now my Betta is in a bowl, I know it's small but he really seems happy as he flares at me all the time and has a very impressive bubble nest! :P I'm still debating on what I may do, I have a about a 35 gallon tank with a stand that's not in use right now, but i'm not sure if it's usable. I believe it may have leaks. :/

I forgot all about having to quarantine! Thanks for reminding me! And thanks all who have contributed. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community.

:)
Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

You also have to make sure the divider is secure so the fish don't find any holes to get through to the other side and kill each other.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh wonderful! Some Bettas do like less space, one of mine actually gets freaked out if he's in anything bigger than 4 gallons, it's just his personality. But that 35 sounds wonderful, I have a 33 myself and I love it! It holds my sorority of Bettas.

You can put the tank in your garage or something and fill it with water, wait for a 24 hour period and check to see if it has leaks. And if it does leak at least it won't be on carpet or anything and will be easier to drain.