Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 
TrinityV

Rescue Betta Is This Fin Rot?

Sorry for the poor photo quality and possible thread mishaps, I've just moved and all I have at my disposal is an iPad to work with here.
Before the move I took a family members Betta who was in pretty sorry shape. I noticed something funky was going on with his top fin and hoped that a new life would help little Batu-Kahn out. It looks like I made the mistake of purchasing Melafix while we were on the road, a bit desperate considering I am in no way a Betta expert. Of course it hasn't helped.

The only specifics with his tank that I have now is that he is in a temporary 1 gallon tank with no heater (his water up here has been stable at just below lukewarm every time I water change, I'm afraid to cook him), no tank mates.
His energy levels have increased since his new home, but his condition has not improved much. I also am not 100% sure if this is fin rot? The area of concern is his top fin, that area that is the light blue patch and a severely diminished fin.

I'm at a little bit of a loss here. I have one other pet store Betta who's been the picture of health for 2 years now and I've never had to treat a sick fish of any sorts. We've had him for one month, and I'm afraid to introduce anything new into him environment without knowing exactly what's wrong and what can make him right.

I'm hoping one of you pros can diagnose this, and swing me in the proper direction of a cure. I hate to think of him suffering every day!
TrinityV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I can't see details in the photo, but....

The best way to treat fin rot is with warm, clean water.

The water change recommendation for a 1 gal tank is a minimum of one 100% and one 50% water change per week.

When changing his water, don't rely on "lukewarm" by feel. Get a Floating Glass Thermometer. They cost $2.99 at Petsmart/Petco, or $1.65 at Walmart (in the fish section). Take the temp of his tank water, then run the faucet until the water is within +/- two degrees of his tank water. This will allow you to refill his tank with water that is the same temp as what he's been in, and will lessen any shock to his system.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote