Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #1 
Deanna01

How good a deal?

This ad for a big aquarium with all fish and plants is on my local Craigslist, and I'm incredibly tempted by it. Unless it's an utterly fantastic deal, though, I don't want to spring for something like this right now, and I'm too new to this to know. What do you guys think?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/3707790091.html
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:29 AM   #2 
leafythegreat

Pretty solid deal if everything works. My 8 gallon + decor + heater cost me $200 in the end, and I don't have a cabinet or non-stock lights or anything terribly fancy.

If you don't have the money for it now, though, just let it go. It's a beautiful tank, but you have to figure in electricity costs for running it as well.
leafythegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #3 
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna01 View Post
This ad for a big aquarium with all fish and plants is on my local Craigslist, and I'm incredibly tempted by it. Unless it's an utterly fantastic deal, though, I don't want to spring for something like this right now, and I'm too new to this to know. What do you guys think?

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/3707790091.html

You wouldn't be able to start from scratch and get to that level for $400. Looks clean. Plants look great.

I have spent nearly $300 on my 30gal planted tank, and I do not have it nearly as nice as that tank yet. And that $300 does not include the price of the tank (which is actually my parents old tank).
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:15 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Note the ad says: OBO. Figure out what you can afford to spend and make an offer. All they can do is say "no." They might decline the offer but if no one else does better and it gets closer to moving time you may get the set-up for what you can afford. My forumula is 10% less than the original price. If I really want something I may counter offer with 7%-5%.

Sometimes you can even take the fish you don't want to a pet store for credit or exchange (I note it has angelfish which you wouldn't want with a Betta).
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

With stuff like this, I go through and price everything first, just to give myself a jumping off point.

It's a bow front, which is MUCH more expensive. I'd say that this is easily a 350$ tank and hood with lights, and the stand is another 150$. You've already met their asking price right *there*.

From there, the heater was probably 50- 75$.
The plants are a good 100-150$, and that's getting them small, growing them out, and getting a good price on all of them.
I know nothing about the protein skimmer...
The filter is a 100$
I believe those bulbs are upwards of 10$ each
The gravel is easily 30$ (for such a large bag)
The angel fish are *expensive*, but I've also heard that they are very delicate and hard to keep.
And as for the extras, I'd bet that there is another 30-50$ there as well.

Overall, this is a really good deal. The question is, do you want to have these fish/this size tank to take care of? If you do, then offer them 375$ (but be prepared to pay the 400$ if they don't accept your offer), and have a blast with it. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #6 
Deanna01

Thanks, all! I offered $325, he countered at $360, and I agreed. It's going to be mine!

It has the following fish in it: 1 ancistrus, 2 crossocheilus siamensis, 1 epalzeorhynchos frenatus albino, 5 glow gymnocorymbus ternetzi, 5 hemigrammus erythrozonus, 5 paracheirodon innesi, 1 pterophyllum scalare, 2 epalzeorhynchus kalopterus, 3 hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi and 5 caridina multidentata shrimps.

Other than the tetras and shrimp, I don't think I can have those in with a betta, but I think I will enjoy the aquarium anyway. :)

Now I'm off to start a thread on advice for moving an existing aquarium....
Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #7 
Deanna01

What's hilarious is that my husband agreed to it before he realized there were fish in it. He thought I was just getting it for my betta. 0.o (He's what we politely term "not a pet person.") I think he will survive, though I'm now a bit at a loss as to how to explain the brand-new Fluval Chi I have waiting to be set up on my desk....
Old 04-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #8 
kyle89

I know that setup has been on craigslist for at least a two months now
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #9 
Deanna01

Wow, Kyle. That's a while. I suppose I could have gotten it for less, but I feel like I am paying a good price if it is in as good a shape as the pics show. He says it is, so I'll have to see.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #10 
kyle89

Yeah I live in Lancaster and have been checking all the local craigslists since the week after Valentines day and saw it back than
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote